Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Singin' In the Rain

Is my all-time favorite musical movie, hands down. You must watch it and revel in the grace of Cyd Charisse, Donald O'Connor's antics, and Gene Kelly's amazing moves. Debbie Reynolds isn't so bad herself. When I die and go to heaven (don't even doubt that's where I'm headed!) I shall request a dance with Gene Kelly. But this post is not about that movie. Rather, it's a clever title for how I'm feeling about the rainy season thus far.

November marks the beginning of what's known around here (the Willamette Valley in Oregon) as the rainy season. Weather.com notes that our area gets over 8 inches of rain for the next three months. I was dreading this time, but it hasn't been so bad. We are almost two weeks into the rain, and it hasn't been constant. Take Saturday morning, for example. I wasn't feeling very well so I cut my 11 mile run in half and headed out at 8am. The sun was shining, despite a cloudy sky. At one point I was out on a kind of country road, looking at the beautiful colors on a hill in the distance. It was 60 degrees and so pleasant. I got home and demanded everyone get dressed and meet me at the park for an impromptu game of football. We had so much fun! The rain did start later that morning, but it didn't last all day.

Today it was at least 65 degrees and hardly rained at all. The kids got out of school early, so we picked up some friends and headed to a park by the river to tromp through mountains of leaves that were only mildly wet. If you want to rake leaves and jump in them, make sure you do it before the rainy season begins. Just a tip! Here are a few pictures from our adventure.

I'm still happy to have these boots to keep my feet nice and dry, but I'm also happy not to wear them every day. In fact, this whole post makes me want to go outside and do a little tap dance.

I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain

What a glorious feelin'

I'm happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above

The sun's in my heart

And I'm ready for love
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place

Come on with the rain

I've a smile on my face
I walk down the lane
With a happy refrain

Just singin',
Singin' in the rain

Amy




4 comments:

Polliwog said...

Wow, your kids are getting big. I love H's haircut.

Send a little rain my way, will ya?

Unknown said...

So fun! Glad you had a good time.

Mandie said...

That is exactly what I want when I go to heaven too!

Amy D said...

We love that movie too! We watched it just the other day. The boys loved the "Make 'em Laugh" song the most.