On the side we're having banana bread and maybe an easy vegetable like frozen peas. I have been trying for a week or so now to get some overripe bananas to make banana bread. My family (mostly Kate) just goes through them too quickly, though, and so it's been a challenge. I had a beautiful one saved up, along with two questionable halves, and then Kyle (who thought he was being helpful by eating the most ripe banana) had it for breakfast. So I made do with a just ripe banana and the two questionable ones.
The recipe I'm sharing with you today, however, comes from momcooks.net and is for pumpkin bread with agave nectar. So far I've had success with quick breads, and and absolute FAIL with agave brownies. If you'd like to try a recipe with agave nectar instead of sugar, here's one that my family liked. My substitutions are in italics.
Pumpkin Bread (from momcooks.net)
Yields 2 medium loaves
Oven 350°
INGREDIENTS:
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat -- can't take too many chances)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 15-ounce can pumpkin (unsweetened)
1 1/2 cups light agave (I wouldn’t use more than ¾ C. It was plenty sweet.)
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/4 C oil and 1/2 C plain Greek yogurt.)
3 eggs (I used an egg white substitute.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 medium loaf pans. Set aside.2. In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl beat together pumpkin, agave, oil, eggs, and
vanilla. Slowly mix in dry ingredients.
4. Pour batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
6. Allow bread to cool in pans before removing.
There you go, easy peasy. 15 days into my experiment and I have lost two pounds. Two more to go and I will be a happy lady (without love handles, I hope). But really I'd like to get past the point where I crave sugar and chocolate every day. Honestly, I am not there yet. I am going to take a break next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and then jump right back in on Sunday. After I reach my goal weight and maintain it for a few days I will evaluate my eating habits. I will say that I have a lot more energy and food just tastes better. So there you have it!
3 comments:
Wow, sounds like a great recipe. I just had agave talk in my nutrition class this week, so I'm sure going to try it.
Bananas in our house get over ripen pretty often and so they go into ziploc and right to freezer for later banana bread use :) Last one was banana bread with cream cheese frosting (or whatever that toping thing called).
I love banana bread! For a fun twist I add 1/2 cup coconut to my batter, then sprinkle some on top before putting it in the oven. It makes a nice crunchy top, then I whisk 1/2 cup powdered sugar with the juice of 1 lime and pour the glaze over the bread! Yummy (although it kinda turns it into more of a dessert) love the blog! Can't wait to see you! we will be there in 7 days. Woohoo!
Way to go on the 2 lbs! The bread sounds good, I love banana bread but we too eat bananas too fast! we will miss you guys over thanksgiving but have fun!
Post a Comment