Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Favorite Veteran

Is my paternal grandfather, whom we affectionately referred to as "Old Thorn" because he used to call us, his granddaughters, beautiful roses. He died two years ago at the age of 87. He was a veteran of the second World War, and a POW for over two years. Luckily he came home to marry my grandmother and live a long and fulfilling life. This photograph shows him suited up to fly. The plane he flew in combat was the B-17 bomber. He was a 2nd Lieutenant when he was shot down, and I believe it was his first combat mission in the war.

Growing up, we heard nothing about his time as a POW or serving in the Air Force, but in the last few years of his life, he opened up much more. I think he told my Dad many things. I wish I had heard some of his stories. I do remember one he told me. It involved winning a lot of money at a poker game. That sounds like Grandpa! At his funeral some servicemen and women came to do a salute with guns and played taps. It was very moving. I am so grateful for the example he set for me and for his sacrifice.

I honor all those who have valiantly fought to defend our country, in years past and today. I know that I couldn't enjoy the freedoms I have without their dedicated service. Happy Veteran's Day.

Amy

PS -- I asked my parents a few years ago why they chose the name "Amy" for me. Turns out it was a name this grandfather really liked. I'm glad I have it.

4 comments:

Angie said...

He sounds like a wonderful man!

Leslie said...

What a wonderful photo to have!

Michael Family said...

You left out the best part--bombing a whale from the air, because they thought it was a sub! :)

amydear said...

Hey, I didn't know about the whale! Is that true??