I am trying to nurse Kate for an entire year. This is a feat for me. Here is a brief (and non-graphic) history of my nursing experience:
Jillian did not nurse well in the beginning. I was clueless, she was clueless and hungry. She weaned herself at 7 months. Done deal.
I wanted to do a better job with Hayden, and I did. For a while. Then I started gaining back weight I lost and gave up nursing at 6 months so I could lose the extra weight I gained. It took me a long time to lose those 17 pounds, but I did. This experience really started my regular exercise habit, one I've kept up for 8 years now.
I wanted to do a better job with Kara. She was great at nursing and it was easy. But then I started training for a marathon and pretty much had to stop nursing at 8 months. Turns out I couldn't keep up with her 20 plus pounds of hungry baby weight and run 40 miles a week.
So here I am with Kate. She is a stellar baby. She eats well (and quickly!), and is starting to sleep through the night. Kate is loving baby food and finger food and especially loves water. Watching her gobble water is so entertaining. Now she is almost 8 months old and I haven't even started weaning her. She has a bottle of formula about twice a week just so I have the option and can leave her with a babysitter, but I've been very diligent about not starting her on too many bottles, because then it's just too easy to wean them off nursing entirely. But now I'm getting antsy. I'm kind of tired of the extra 7-8 pounds my body can't let go of while I'm nursing. And summer's coming. A few of my clothes are not going to fit at this weight, and I'm tired of buying a size up. And I'm tired of the extra large nursing chest. Today while I was nursing Kate, it went like this:
Nurse. Stop. Bounce legs against chair arm. Nurse. Stop. Blow raspberry. Nurse. Stop. Look around the room. Nurse. Stop. Bounce legs. Nurse. Stop. Grab for hair, button, or anything else in reach. Repeat for 5 more minutes.
I am at an impasse. I can't lose much more weight while nursing (apparently, since I haven't lost any in about a month), but I really, really want to. And I'd like to keep nursing, but I think Kate might be losing interest. Any words of wisdom? Kate is most likely my last baby, so I don't want to give up this bonding experience too soon. Do I just have to choose one or the other? Anyone have success in losing all their baby weight while nursing? I know some people get skinnier, but I am not one of those. For the record, I am eating pretty healthy and I am exercising a minimum of 4 days a week. I don't feel like I can really eat less because I am hungry from exercise and nursing. I am trying to eat less at night and cut back on sweets. I know I can lose the weight after I stop nursing, but I'd love to do it while nursing.
I do feel like I can keep nursing and be okay with the weight thing. I am trying my hardest. It's just that I feel so much happier when I look my best. I keep thinking about how my clothes fit when I'm at my ideal weight. I am just so much more comfortable. Here are my favorite jeans:
They still don't quite fit. At least not comfortably.
I know this may be a bit of a shallow topic, but it is something that's on my mind. I've received lots of compliments from people, so I know I am making progress. I'm just wondering about others' experiences. Have you weaned too early and regretted it? Have you been able to get off all your baby weight every time? Is Kate not the cutest baby you've seen? Okay, maybe not the cutest, but right up there!
Let me know what you think! Until then, I'm off to nurse.
Let me know what you think! Until then, I'm off to nurse.
6 comments:
I am not one to ask, because I don't like nursing. I did all my kids until 7 months. I think if she's losing interest, and you want to lose weight, you might as well stop now. Then you both win! :)
Do you really want to know? :)
I feel your pain. Seriously. BUT--it is your last time, and so I would say (to avoid future regrets) let go of the concerns about your body and try to base your decision entirely on the needs of Kate and your feelings about nursing her. Easier said than done (letting go of body concerns) but I know I might second guess myself if I felt I had chosen to give up something precious like that for a reason that in a year or two will seem trivial.
However, if you think Kate is not needing it anymore and/or you are not enjoying it ... well then, that's a different story.
The last question I asked myself is "How much does this really matter?" and that's one that has to be answered personally. When you get to the point where you don't feel it matters too much either way, then the sacrifices you are making don't really seem worth it!
Good luck. :)
Two comments: Kate has a sweet mohawk. And, kids in Ecuador breastfeed until they are like 12.
Interesting post. I've got so many thoughts on it I could never begin tocomment. Let me just say you look great with the extra 7 lbs. And it would be a crime having such cute, smart, and talented kids to not make the sacrifice and have a least a few more and then go on running marathons until your in your 70's.
I saw you recently and you look great--really. I'm not a good one to comment, because my circumstances are very different from yours. I would say enjoy the babies while you have them. Next summer you can be as skinny as you want to be.
I don't think you will ever regret sacrificing 6 pounds to nurse your baby-- maybe your last baby.
Post a Comment