Kyle was home for a long weekend as a surprise. It was a much-needed visit and now his time in Boston is almost done. Have I mentioned before that Kyle is a pretty smart dude? On Monday as he was talking on the phone to a colleague about a paper and I was cleaning the house, I was reminded again of how much he knows about his work and how little I understand. It's very specific and somewhat complicated stuff. That man has a Ph.D. and I spend my days vacuuming and cleaning up the same messes over and over again. Huh.
I know it's time for a change in my life, in some ways at least, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. Kate starts full-day kindergarten in the fall, but I am still the main caretaker for the kids, especially until Kyle has tenure (spring of 2016). My plan for now is to spend more time volunteering in the classroom to figure out if I want to teach again, and to write more. I'm glad I don't have to work if I don't want to, but sometimes I wish I had a little push to get some of my old ambition back. Young Amy had all sorts of dreams and goals. I reached a lot of them, but I didn't realize how mundane a lot of my adult life would be. I'm ready to change that.
What dreams have you not realized yet?
2 comments:
I'm pretty conflicted about what I'll do when I grow up but more so about just when that will happen. I feel a considerable amount of outside pressure to "do" something, but I also feel such a strong need in so many kids to have mothers who are present in the home, even when all the kids are in school. Tricky. Plus, I have absolutely no idea where I would fit work into my life. My days are packed.
I want to dance again and hopefully perform a bit too. That would be fun and fulfilling and just for me.
Post a Comment