Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Courtesy Laugh

H: Why did the falling leaves not fall down?

A: I don't know. Why.

H: Because the rain was in the mail.

A: Oh. Is that funny?

H: Because the rain was in the hail??

A: That doesn't make a bit of sense. Try another one.

H: Why did the chicken fluff out its big tail?

A: To make the lady chickens like it?

H: No, so he could go splosh.

A: Oh. (weak laugh)

H: If you see a fin in your bathtub, make sure it's not a shark. (He waits for my laugh.)

A: That's not very funny, but it is good advice.

Still persisting, H tries again:

H: Why did the underwater castle turn into muck?

A: I don't know.

H: Because the rain cloud came down.

(Insert discussion about what makes jokes funny.)

H told me two or three more "jokes," and by this time I really was ROFL and LOL because it was so funny he couldn't think of a joke that was the least bit coherent. I give him an A for effort, but I was kind of wishing someone else was around to listen to some of the jokes so I could escape.

H: Why are you laughing? Do you think these jokes are funny?

Well, do you?

Amy and Hayden

6 comments:

Polliwog said...

This sounds so familiar. C-box can't seem to get the knock-knock joke format or understand what makes something funny. I completely get the "I want my child to be exploring verbally and asking a billion questions, but does it always have to be ME on the listening end?" It gets old pretty fast. ;)

Mandy said...

One that I have heard no less than a million times is:

Knock Knock
Who's There
Darth
Darth Who
Darth Vader.

My ears want to scream every time he repeats it. But I still love him. Even if I do have to leave the room when he starts telling his "best" joke.

ellen said...

Wow -- fancy new design!

Polliwog said...

Like your new look. ;)

amydear said...

I will not be sharing the knock knock Darth Vader joke with Hayden, as he is currently obsessed with Star Wars and will say it repeatedly, or somehow make it less funny than it already is. I'll leave that one for Seth, Mandy! Good luck with that.

Amy D said...

What's another name for a snail? A booger with a crash helmet. We are all about jokes at our house these days too. It must be a common thing with little boys!