Tuesday, January 15, 2008

And I'm proud to be an American . . .


Today is Michigan's presidential primary election day, or something like that. I'm not sure of all the official-sounding terms. Some people are saying Michigan's primary election is illegal, and some candidates have refused to put their names on the ballot. Despite all the hoopla, Hayden, Kara, and I went to cast our vote. Hayden kept trying to sway my vote, but I stood firm. I filled in my oval and accepted my sticker with pride. Here's a hint on who I voted for, in case you're wondering. I voted for the only candidate I have ever seen in person.

As I was leaving the Official Polling Place, I was thinking about how easy it is to vote in America. No one stands outside harassing you. We don't worry about bombs near polling places or backlash for casting an unpopular vote. Then I was thinking about people in other countries who have risked, and lost, their lives casting their votes and trying to uphold democracy. It made me a little teary-eyed. Then I ran into my friend Jan, who asked with concern, "Is everything okay? Why are you crying?" Why? Because I'm a big sap. Because I have pride in my country. Because I exercised my right to vote and felt immense gratitude at the ability to do so.

Enjoy my self-taken photo of my voting sticker. Hayden's wearing his too.

Amy

5 comments:

Todd and Anna said...

I'm a big sap too! I was getting teary just reading this.
My guess is that you voted for Romney and you saw him when you lived in Boston or during the winter olympics in Utah.

Anna

Mandy said...

Thanks for voting for the only person I've seen in person too! I am kind of sad that I don't have the opportunity to do so yet . . .

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder, Amy. Way to be sappy and sassy!

Amy D said...

Yea, Amy! I'm proud of you for voting! I feel the same way. I can't hear the song, "Proud to Be an American" without crying. Seriously! I just finished my blog about the Michigan primary and asked if you had something to do with Romney's win. Good for you! Now I'm even more proud of you :)

Mandy said...

Okay, I know I already posted a comment on here, but after I heard he won, I had to come back and thank you.