Friday, January 4, 2008

A Delightful Read

I just finished one of the most delightful books I've read in quite some time. I HIGHLY recommend it. It is called I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith. Ms. Smith also wrote The 101 Dalmatians, but I can't imaging that book being as good as Castle. If I were to summarize the plot, it would sound trite and a bit too contrived. Just trust me when I say this book has just the right blend of romance, humor, philosophy, beauty, and humanity. It may have a tad too much literary criticism, but I forgive it one fault. The cast of characters is intriguing, the setting is sometimes ancient, sometimes modern, sometimes surreal, but always interesting. I'm going to try and find the film (2003) based on the novel to see if it holds up at all. Thanks to Mandy for encouraging me to read it. If you pick it up, let me know if you're as smitten with Cassandra and her life in 1930's England as I was. And if you're up for another "castle" read, I've always loved The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery.

Amy

PS -- I'm going to get pictures from Christmas up tomorrow. I've been super busy and super tired ever since we got back. But never fear, I will get them posted! I'm trying to post a picture of the book cover, but I can't get it to upload. So sorry!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. I gave it to Michael's sister for Christmas, and she is enjoying it too. I miss our Arlington book club days, though some of the discussions did get a little intense for me . . .

Amy D said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely due to read a good book now that the busy-ness of the holidays is over.