Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Confession

I took a flying leap off the no-sugar bandwagon and ate some treats late Monday night. It was a pretty conscious decision, and one I'm not upset about. I was baking yummies for an election day sale at Jillian's school. I made toll house cookie bars and double fudge brownies (from scratch, not a mix). They were irresistibly good, especially the corners, and I nibbled. Then I ate. I started feeling a little giddy and actually began laughing at the pure delight of eating a brownie. It was quite comical. Kyle was staring at me with a peculiar look on his face as I cackled and chewed.

I humbly climbed back on the no-sugar bandwagon this morning, but only for today. I've decided that I proved my point. I can go without treats. And if you can't eat goodies while nursing and training for a marathon (more on that later), then when can you? I'll have sugar-free days every once in a while, but I'm also going to savor every bit of my real ice cream and dark chocolate.

What? Did you read that right? Did I say MARATHON? I did. I am seriously considering beginning training for the Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, MI, over Memorial Day weekend. I have to get Kyle's okay, but I think I'll do it. I have friends to train with, time to run, I'm in a good place physically to start, and I'd love to prove to myself I can do it. I won't be breaking any records, but if I can finish a marathon I'll feel like I did something cool while we lived in Michigan. Not as cool as getting a Ph.D. in accounting, but cool enough. What do you think? Am I nuts? I know quite of you have run marathons, so I'm interested in your input.

Amy

3 comments:

Amy D said...

Yea! Welcome back to reality with the whole sugar-free thing. It's just really not realistic to cut it out entirely. And I think you'll do great running a marathon. You love to run and it will be a good challenge for you. Go for it! This will be our big year for challenging ourselves in races.

Unknown said...

Ha! I totally knew you would end up running a marathon. I started out like you, saying I never would, but then I ran with girls that ran marathons, ran some halves, and decided to go all the way. You'll do great! Oh, and Jonas and I are sugar free until Valentine's Day. My body needs it!

Michael Family said...

I'm glad you caved. Way to go. And yes, you are nuts. I want to bike a century, not run a marathon. (Is that nuts?)