Well, in one cupboard, at least. And in the freezer. The kids were complaining about no treats in the house (even though I made cupcakes and brownies in the last 10 days), so I gave in and got some ice cream and mini candy bars at the store. Let me tell you, opening that carton of Edy's peanut butter cup ice cream and scooping it into little bowls for the kids without even taking a lick took sheer willpower. I didn't know ice cream smelled so good. I had always assumed it didn't smell due to it's frozen nature. But I swear I smelled it. Later I had my no sugar added CRAP ice cream with nasty cookie dough chunks that were powdery and I felt cheated. Needless to say, the second week of no sugar treats has been much worse than the first. I'm definitely having to work harder to ignore the cravings. Yesterday was an extremely stressful end to a stressful work week for Kyle and I wanted chocolate or ice cream soooooo bad. But when it came down to opening the freezer and choosing, I chose the sugar free again. It tasted slightly better this time. I washed it down with half a diet Coke and called it a night. And thus ended my 10th sugar free day. I am committed to 2 weeks, but after that, we'll see. The scale will definitely have to have tipped in my favor (lower weight) in order for me to continue much longer. The stress is going to keep on coming, and chocolate helps me deal with it. It's deliberate emotional eating, I know.
Instead of waking up and running in the dark today, I waited until about 9:30am and ran in the SUN. It is a glorious winter day in Michigan. The temperature is about 41 degrees and the sun has been shining most of the day. My six miles were going very well until about mile 4, when I noticed my left foot and right knee were hurting. I've been putting off buying new shoes as long as possible, but I decided not to wait any longer. Just picked up a new pair of kicks and I'm so excited! New running shoes make me very happy. I'm starting my half marathon training in a week or so and I feel very well equipped.
My running shoe purchase brings our shoe buying total for the past 8 days to a whopping $250, give or take a few bucks. What? I know, it's insane. Kyle needed new dress shoes and found some he really liked, so we got two pairs, black and brown. He's usually so stingy about shoes and unwilling to spend more than $40, so I capitalized on the moment. He says he can stand all day in these; they're even recommended by some official foot doctor association. Then my running shoes were upwards of $80, and Jillian needed new ballet shoes. Throw in a couple more clearance pairs at $8 each and you've got yourself a whole lot of shoes. Yikes. Dressing a family can be pricey, especially when our kids don't wear each others' clothes as hand-me-downs. Kara does wear a few things Jillian did, but they are completely different sizes, and I saved very little.
And there you have it. Happy weekend, everybody. Thanks for the comments on the blog. They keep me writing. When I get comments I feel like I'm not just talking to myself and letting a bunch of other people read about it.
Amy
5 comments:
Oh, yeah, I should have warned you not to try any of the fakey stuff until you were a few weeks out. By then it actually all tastes surprisingly good, but you definitely have to get past the stage where your tastebuds are in rebellion. :)
Hooray for new running shoes. You only have to learn the "putting off buying new running shoes mistake" the hard way once. It's not worth the inevitable injuries, that's for sure.
I read every word you write. Just so you know.
Okay. So I just wrote this long post and somehow it didn't post, so here is the short version: I found a new sugar free snack in my post-marathon hunt for healther food (mint chocolate sundae jello pudding cups--very yummy); I agree with Em on the shoes; the stress will end in just a few months!
I agree on the "please post comments" plea. So true! I hate feeling like people are just reading my journal. If I can have a vote in the chocolate detox matter, I say just eat it in moderation. You'll be a lot happier if you allow yourself to eat it when you need it! So, after two weeks, chalk it up to a great accomplishment, but then start eating normally again.
I'm with amyduke on the chocolate! Moderation is the key, so you don't feel deprived and overeat on other things (even sugar free things can be empty calories!)
Yay for the new shoes!
If I could buy new shoes every day, I might be able to go without the chocolate AND the ice cream...too bad calories are cheaper than fashion! I love reading your blog! email me at andrea.balcena@gmail.com & I'll send you an invite to mine...(paranoia private blog) if you want- it's not as much fun as yours, but you are my inspiration!
Post a Comment