Thursday, January 3, 2008

Holiday Detox

I'm doing it. I'm going dessert/sugar free for at least a week. I'm committed, along with my bro-in-law Scott and my sister Shauna. Want to join the bandwagon? I want to get 2008 off to a healthy start. I'm going to demand lots from my body this year, so I'm going to try to feed it a little better. No more three desserts a day for me. Christmas vacation was delicious, but also fattening! I also know I'm going to be feeling a lot of stress this year, and I'd rather not cope with the stress by consuming large amounts of ice cream, like I usually do.

Today is day two of my detox. Yesterday was a cinch. We drove home from St. Louis. I snacked on peppers, cucumbers, carrots, apples, and nuts. Very satisfying and filling. Today as I tried to hide the dark chocolate I got for Christmas and didn't finish, I felt a twinge of craving. I'm sure I'll be dying by Saturday. I went grocery shopping and ignored the sale price on my favorite ice cream. I'm sure I'll want that by Sunday. But, no, I'm committed. I'm going to stay the course. And if I make it through the first week, I hope to continue. My friend Em did this last year and avoided desserts/treats for well over 7 months. It was impressive, and she looked phenomenal. One reason I'm trying is because I'd like to lose all my baby weight without quitting nursing. I have just three pounds to go. I'm sure Kara will appreciate my effort.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it all turns out! Can I put mind over matter? I hope so! I've got a little too much matter right now.

Amy

3 comments:

Amy D said...

Good for you, Amy! I think the hardest part of that "detox" is the first week. After two, you're not even craving it and you're feeling so much better. Hang in there. I'm impressed that you're already within three pounds of your pre-Kara weight. Way to go!

Michael Family said...

If it makes you feel any better, you actually can eat the dark chocolate (a little bit!) because it's actually got good nutritional properties. But maybe I shouldn't tell you that, because then you'll be tempted....

Good for you Amy! As I was reading your entry, I was eating mini marshmallows. Hee hee.

Mandy said...

Guilt, guilt, guilt. I will not be able to read your blog again until you are done with this experiment. (Just kidding.) I have no will power when it comes to chocolate, and am trying to make up for it on the treadmill.