Tuesday, November 4, 2008

2:00am with C3PO

Last night was an adventure. A bit out of the Twilight Zone, really. I woke up at 12:40am to Kara screaming. Not a hungry scream, a scared or angry scream. When I went down the hallway, I noticed an ear-piercing beeping noise. It was coming from upstairs. I realized that Hayden's digital alarm clock was going off. We've never set it or used it as an alarm, so I have no idea why it went off. Hayden was sound asleep in his bed, but I think the noise woke Kara, who's room is right below his. I turned off the alarm and went down to put Kara back to sleep. No dice. I let her cry for about 20 minutes and then decided maybe she needed a drink of water. Nope. 20 more minutes of crying. Decided maybe she was hungry. So I got her out of her crib and let her walk, thinking she'd show me what she wanted. When she's hungry she usually goes over to her high chair and says "eat, eat". Nope. This is where it got a little weird. I was leaning against the counter, just watching her, wondering when I'd be able to get back to sleep, and cursing my husband for not suffering with me. Kara started doing all the things she does when she sees a dog. Panting, pointing, saying "pup!" etc. I think she was kind of hallucinating or something. It was bizarre. She did this for a minute or two until I picked her up, told her there was no dog, and put her in bed with us. Kara calmed down immediately and fell asleep, but I could not sleep. Not enough room! So I carefully picked her up and took her back to her bed, where she promptly woke up and started screaming again. I left her and went back to my bed, where Kyle finally clued in and said "What the heck is going on?" By this time it was 2:15am and I was done. I think she must have fallen asleep at some time, but she definitely kept crying for a while. AND she woke up at 7:15 for good. Stinker! But it was funny, too. Where does C3PO come in? When I was following her down the hall she kept looking back at me and walking erratically. With her little bald head she looked just like a shorter, chubbier version of the Star Wars droid. But she has plenty of nicknames, so I won't be calling her that.

Maybe she got a little spoiled last week, when Jillian rocked her to sleep. I think she just needed some midnight lovin'. Can't fault her for that!

Amy

9 comments:

Unknown said...

that's so cute that she fell asleep in your bed. No matter what time of night, Kjersten wants to play around, and rolls like a log. That picture is precious.

Baco said...

I have had waaaay too many experiences similar to that one. Hope you got a nap!

Mandy said...

Okay, that Baco, that was me logged into Michael's account. Sorry!

Leslie said...

sorry you had a late night.. I'm not really looking forward to that again. Alyssa once woke up screaming about dust in her room, I went and got the duster handed it to her and went back to bed, I could hear her in there actually dusting.. but it worked afterwards she went right back to sleep. :)she was definatly not really awake.

mama bear said...

I completely sympathize with you. Mollie woke up the other night and wouldn't stop screaming until we put a coat on her. Then she wanted a hat. What had she been dreaming of?

Polliwog said...

Sounds like a doggy nightmare. Poor kid--and poor you. I am so OVER wakeful nights.

Amy D said...

Oh good! I'm so glad it turned out OK. I kept waiting to hear that you ended up in the ER or something with some weird kind of illness. Glad it was just her needing some love. Sorry for your missed night of sleep, though.

Angie said...

Sounds like she might be starting the night frights. Hopefully it won't last long. That doesn't sound like fun at all!

Melissa said...

It's weird-- once my babies get past a certain age, I get really really frustrated when they wake up at night! Isn't that terrible?! I don't mind nursing a baby in the middle of night as much as I mind a toddler waking up and having to try to figure out what's buggin them. AH! Am I the only one?

Sounds like you were really patient.