Sunday, November 25, 2007

Santa goes high-tech

Warning: If you do not like Santa or the idea of perpetuating the Santa myth to children, do not read this post.

Jillian is a wise little girl. She has been questioning the "existence" of Santa for the last two years. Since I figure the truth will be known soon, I thought I'd try for one more year of childhood wonderment and awe. We wrote letters to Santa to be delivered to a special mailbox on Main Street. A return letter was promised to all. Unfortunately, the mailbox was in place for just one day (Mom misread the fine print on the notice), and Santa's letter had nowhere to be placed. The kids were a bit worried about this, but then I Googled "send Santa a letter" and came up with this hit. You fill in some blanks, pick out a stamp and a goodie for the reindeer, and with a click of a mouse your EMAIL to Santa is off! It's a pretty smart program, because it references things your child put in the letter to Santa in the one you get back from him. Bean and Pea were both tickled with their personalized letters. I think I've saved Christmas for this year at last.

And for those of you that wonder why I bother? The world is filled with horrible things that no child should have to think about. I have to warn my children about so many dangers -- people and things that could harm them. Keeping something as fun and magical as Santa alive for one more year keeps Jillian a child. We have lots of reverence for the true meaning of Christmas; it permeates every part of our life, but I see little harm in believing in Santa for a while. And it is a whole lot of fun.

Amy

3 comments:

Amy D said...

I'm with you on that one 100%. Santa's a happy thing! Parker is questioning too, but we're trying to get him to hang on as well. Thanks for the tip. We'll give it a try!

Michael Family said...

That's a good idea! You are so clever. Maybe I'll try it with James. I bet he'd love it. I won't spill the beans to Jillian about Santa. (She's way too young to not believe, right?)

The Mama said...

Came across your blog while browsing. I'm also a former English teacher-- now full time mom of three. I too started blogging to try and maintain my writing skills, but also to "scrapbook" my family life.
Looks like you have a lovely family.
-Lara