Tuesday, November 6, 2007

If at first you don't succeed




Wow. I have a very patient four-year-old. I know that should be an oxymoron, but Hayden totally surprised me today. He was playing Knex, one of his favorite things to do. There was no school today, and I think he played for at least three hours. Anyway, he was making a pickup truck. It kept rolling off the table and breaking as he was working on it. It did this three times, and two times he started over. When it rolled off the table for the third time, he started crying. I came over to help him and he said "I just have to make this, Mom. I have to do it." So I helped him. Then we realized we didn't have all the right pieces. But we MacGyvered it together and finished it. I was pretty impressed with his patience and determination. And you'll never guess what he's getting more of for Christmas!



In other news of the day, I am working on a Halloween advent calendar. I realize I didn't finish it in time for Halloween. It is taking a lot of time, like hours and hours of hand sewing and machine applique, but I am enjoying the project. I also have to finish my Michigan quilt before too long. I will post pictures of my projects as I finish them. Last year I made a Thanksgiving banner with some of my most talented friends. It is proudly hanging on the wall. I'm also going to make some cute turkey headbands for the kids. I hope they enjoy wearing them. They remind me of the Thanksgiving play I made up for me and my siblings when I was about 10 or 11. No one wanted to do it, but my Mom made everyone participate. Sorry, sibs! Thanks for playing along with all of my ideas. I have to say that my little sister Shauna was always ready to do the play or dance I made up. Thanks for believing in me, Shaunnerd!



The kids are anxiously awaiting the snow that was supposed to fall today. I think they are out of luck for today, but there is a chance of snow over the next two days. Sigh. I am not ready for a Michigan winter. I am glad this is our last one. And I hope our next winter is spent in a warmer locale.

Oooh, smells like my spinach mushroom quiche with hash brown crust is almost done. I'd better go cook the sausage and make the tropical fruit smoothie. That's what's for dinner at our house, and I'm hungry!

Amy

4 comments:

Ken and Amy said...

I was so proud to hang my Thanksgiving banner this year. Thanks for making it with me!

Michael Family said...

This is actually a comment about your poll. You mean you'd really have a picture for Christmas cards of the kids in JUST HATS???!!!

Michael Family said...

I meant to say all the family in just snow hats. I don't know if that would be decent.

Rebekah said...

Amy!! I love the blog! Please post links to your project instructions (if you're okay with having your ideas stolen). And if you MUST tell us what's for dinner (yum!) when we can't come over, PLEASE include some recipes!! :) love, your long-lost pal just resurfacing from having a baby and moving . . .