Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Lunch Date - cafeteria style

I went to Jillian's school to have lunch yesterday. It was fun to surprise her. She came in from recess, red-cheeked and smiling. It was a novelty to have Mom there; I'm not embarrassing yet, apparently. We sat down at the long table with benches and opened her lunch box. Unfortunately, her blackberry pie yogurt had an explosion and most everything was a sticky mess. Together we cleaned it up and dug in. The menu was:

whole wheat bagel with strawberry cream cheese
apple slices
red pear slices
crackers
craisins
chocolate chip granola bar
water

Mmm! First grade lunch fare, my favorite. Well, it was better than the beef hot dog and canned pineapple the school offered. But they do have a few cool things at lunch that I don't remember from when I was a kid. One is a free fruit and vegetable bar. Every student can load up on fruits and veggies every day. There were four or five to choose from the day I was there. The lunch aides are mostly grandmother types, and are so kind to the kids. They pass around hand sanitizing wipes, open tough juice boxes and applesauces, and seemed to know the children's names. I met some of Jillian's classmates. She sat by Samaje, Samiha, Hyegyo, Jeffrey, Claire, Eliza, Ellie, and Spencer. They were all very polite and happy to meet me. I felt like a mini celebrity. I also liked that the boys and girls mostly sat intermixed. Apparently they haven't learned that the opposite gender has cooties quite yet.

It was a good experience for me to go and spend time with Jillian. It kind of makes me sad to think that some day my arrival at Jillian's lunchroom would cause utter mortification on her part. The days where Mom and Dad are ignored in public are not long off, I'm afraid. But I have hope that my little first grade lunch date friend might always be my friend, even if she doesn't want me surprising her for lunch!

Amy

3 comments:

Michael Family said...

That is so cute! What a good idea. James is still excited to see me, but he's only 3. Jillian seems to have quite the diverse classmates, judging by their names. How fun! Did you bring Kara with you?

Mandy said...

Does she have time to eat all that? Seth seems to bring 3/4 of his lunch back home every day. He says he doesn't have time to eat it all. The teacher says he messes around a lot at lunch.
Who to believe?

amydear said...

Well, she saves some things for snack after school. But being the good girl that she is she usually eats the main dish part first, and some other healthy stuff. Seth as a first grader is hard to imagine! Wish we could hang out again and play games.