Friday, November 23, 2007

Gobblin' up the good deals

Two turkeys and an Indian

Our papoose Kara

First snowfall and first snowman

Beep, beep, beep. 4:37am flashes on my alarm clock. Surprisingly, it's easy to get out of bed, throw on some clothes, brush my hair and teeth, and feed Kara before I head out the door. Oh wait, have to remind Kyle when to feed her next. Nope, he's hardly conscious. I'll call and check in later. I'm on a mission. This is my first early morning Black Friday shopping spree, and I'm armed with ads, determination, and hopefully some good luck.

We hit Kohl's first, but think twice about staying after we see the hour-long lines wrapping around the store. After Kelli hides some toys in the maternity section, hoping to find them later, we zip on over to Target (Jan's driving like someone in an action movie), where Liz is already staked out a place in line. The 15 minutes waiting in the bitter cold go by relatively quickly and we're in, darting through the baby section to the toys, where we're hoping to pick up remote control helicopters, Knex, razor scooters, Star Wars figurines, games, and DVDs. Fortunately we do not want the 19" tv/dvd combo that's all the rage, so the mayhem in the middle of the store is easily avoided. And then we luck out with a cashier at the jewelry counter, so we skirt the lines and are out the door, goodies packed in red and white bags which then get packed into Jan's trunk. Hmm. Maybe we should have driven a van.

And there you have it, a sneak peak into my fun morning. We hit Kohl's again, then Toys R Us, and made it home by 9:10am. I was greeted by a screaming baby who refused to drink her bottle. YIKES! We'll have to work on that. And now, at 12:10pm, I find myself looking at the clock, wondering when my nap is coming. Being a power shopper wears me out!

We had a great Thanksgiving Day. I had the best Thanksgiving dinner of my life. I mean it. Everything was so delicious. The hazelnut-crusted sweet potatoes are still on my mind. Greg brined the turkey overnight, and the result was so moist and tender. With the fresh cranberry orange sauce it was unbeatable. Wow! Great cooking, everyone. Here are a few pictures for you to enjoy. Hope you had a happy day of gratitude and eating!

Amy

5 comments:

Todd and Anna said...

Fun to read about your dinner and your shopping adventure. I also braved the early morning and the crowds, but in much warmer weather here in Virginia. Short sleeves and no coat for me. Wish we didn't have to return to Michigan weather!

Anna

Mandy said...

Wow. You woke up early! I was out the door by 8:00, and still feel like I got some pretty good deals. I did have to wait in line at the Lego store for an hour, but I guess it was worth it to get the last Star Wars ship of the desired variety.

Amy D said...

Wow, you guys sound like super shoppers. We were out of town, so missed out on some great deals, it sounds like. Cute turkey hats too!

Michael Family said...

I would pay money to NOT shop at 6am with hundreds of people. You go Amy! What stamina! We got a call from my mother-in-law at 6:40 am about some crazy sale she was at, and we were still asleep. :) By the way, I got K'nex, still on sale, at Target at 7pm tonight and NO LINE! Yay! Glad you got some good deals, and wish we could have been together for Thanksgiving!

Ken and Amy said...

I love the turkey and Indian headbands! You did a great job making them. I'd love the pattern if you are willing to share!