My kids are good eaters, even Kara. Kyle is also quite adventuresome and is a part-time foodie. He can only be a part-time foodie because he will eat things like Little Debbie's snack cakes and can't resist vendor food. Anyway, in an effort to expose our palates to new fare, I am instituting the GREAT VEGETABLE ADVENTURE at our dinner table. This coincides with the "three strikes you're out" manners program, but that's another post. Anyway, back to the point: we are trying new vegetables at dinner. Having tired of the same old peas, corn, carrots, broccoli, and beans, we are venturing forth into culinary parts unknown. So far we've tried sweet potatoes and colored peppers (a new thing for the kids). Tonight we're having sauteed cabbage. On deck is acorn squash, bok choy, broccoli rabe, and whatever other vegetables look interesting. I may even try eggplant again, although I've never liked it. The rules are simple: Mom cooks the vegetable. Each member of the family tries a few bites of the vegetable. If you don't like the vegetable, you may eat the back up vegetable. I'm excited to see how many new veggies we can actually add to our repertoire. Of course, I may be disappointed. I remember my mom making split pea soup growing up. We all hated it and refused to eat it, and every time she would say in exasperation, "Why do I make this??" I'll let you know how it goes. Happy munching! Up next: whole grains.
Amy
Post dinner update: Kyle says: "I'm glad I'm not German." Hayden says: "A little good, a little bad." Jillian spit her bite out in the garbage. I ate mine all up. Hmm, kind of a mixed review. I guess that means we can have it again!
1 comment:
How ambitious of you! Hmm... sweet potatoes-yum; acorn squash-yum; broccoli rabe-never heard of it! I'd love to hear about your successes. I might be willing to try them once they pass the Peterson test kitchen. One time I made a fennel salad that had mandarin oranges and a sweet dressing. Everybody loved that (fennel has that licorice taste, you know). So you could have your veggie cold too. :) Good luck on your culinary adventure!
Post a Comment