Is the candy! And my lack of willpower when it comes to the candy! All October it has been taunting me in the grocery store. Caramels cleverly placed next to perfectly-good-for-you apples; stacks of orange and black packaged sweets around every corner; gold sparkling wrappers hiding chocolate goodness. All month I've resisted, until today. On Friday I finally bought one of those bags of caramels, thinking it would be fun to dip some apples for a treat with the kids. Then we went to Greenfield Village Hallowe'en last night, where I got to join the kids for some trick or treating -- hey, I paid ten bucks. THEN Kyle came home from Utah with orange and raspberry sticks from the BYU bookstore. ARGH! There is no hope. I tried chewing gum. I tried brushing my teeth. I tried ignoring it. No luck. I keep finding myself in the kitchen STARING AT THE CANDY. And then I try to walk away with nothing. About half the time I am successful. And half the time I've got something sweet in my mouth. Luckily it's already October 21st, so I can't do much harm, right? I feel a little like Adam Sandler from SNL: "I'm crazy finger-for-a-mustache man, give me some candy!" The weird thing is I don't really like candy all that much. It's so sweet (duh!). It just seems like once I get started eating it, I can't stop, especially if it's just hanging around. But I will try to resist! And if I can't resist, I will run more. I resolve not to eat the kids' Halloween candy. Well, maybe just a few . . .
Sunday, October 21, 2007
The scariest thing about Halloween
Is the candy! And my lack of willpower when it comes to the candy! All October it has been taunting me in the grocery store. Caramels cleverly placed next to perfectly-good-for-you apples; stacks of orange and black packaged sweets around every corner; gold sparkling wrappers hiding chocolate goodness. All month I've resisted, until today. On Friday I finally bought one of those bags of caramels, thinking it would be fun to dip some apples for a treat with the kids. Then we went to Greenfield Village Hallowe'en last night, where I got to join the kids for some trick or treating -- hey, I paid ten bucks. THEN Kyle came home from Utah with orange and raspberry sticks from the BYU bookstore. ARGH! There is no hope. I tried chewing gum. I tried brushing my teeth. I tried ignoring it. No luck. I keep finding myself in the kitchen STARING AT THE CANDY. And then I try to walk away with nothing. About half the time I am successful. And half the time I've got something sweet in my mouth. Luckily it's already October 21st, so I can't do much harm, right? I feel a little like Adam Sandler from SNL: "I'm crazy finger-for-a-mustache man, give me some candy!" The weird thing is I don't really like candy all that much. It's so sweet (duh!). It just seems like once I get started eating it, I can't stop, especially if it's just hanging around. But I will try to resist! And if I can't resist, I will run more. I resolve not to eat the kids' Halloween candy. Well, maybe just a few . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I understand the feeling of not being able to resist. Jonas and I are on a dessert-free diet, though not sugar free. I still put dark chocolate chips in my trail mix, but that's all the sugar i consume. We allow ourselves one 24-hour period a week to consume sweets. Wanna join? It is so helpful to have familial support!
Shaun
I don't even TRY to resist. What's the point? I just devour it as quickly as I can to satisfy that craving. Remember, ALL diets can include sweets in moderation, right? I can use my nutrition knowledge for good or for evil!
Post a Comment