The fudge turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. I got the recipe from my neighbor Amanda. I think it's her dad's recipe. She was more than willing to share it with me, so I will share it with you. Since I can't deliver fudge to most of you, and shipping anything costs an arm and a leg these days, you will have to make your own fudge and pretend it is from me. I did plain with walnuts and mint. But I thought of a great idea I might try next: almond joy fudge. Dark chocolate with coconut and almonds. Some people I was making the fudge for have a strong dislike for coconut, so I couldn't try it with this batch, but I might try it with my next batch. I'm definitely going to make it a darker fudge. I love dark chocolate. LOVE it. And Kara seems to be tolerating it better too; she's not spitting up when I eat it. That, my friends, is a Christmas miracle!
Next on my Christmas goodie list is gingerbread cutouts. They are less time-consuming than sugar cookies because you can skip most of the decorating. But you can do some. The kids are going to help me make them for their primary teachers and bus drivers.
Please vote in my poll and help me decide what to do about my Christmas card dilemma. Enjoy the recipe!
***Fudge
4 ½ cups of sugar
1 can of evaporated milk
½ lb of butter
3 cups chocolate chips
1 pint of marshmallow cream or 20 large marshmallows
1 c of chopped walnuts (optional)
1 t of vanilla
Melt butter in heavy bottomed kettle. Add milk and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium to medium-high heat. Boil over low heat, stirring constantly, for 10 min. (I don’t do any temperature test – I really just do 10 minutes. ) Pour into mixer, add chocolate chips and marshmallows, and beat until creamy. (10 minutes?) Add vanilla and nuts. Makes about 5 lb. Spread in a smaller sized cookie sheet (or larger to use cookie cutters –makes fudge shallower).
Note: for darker fudge, use some bittersweet chocolate (60% cacao or higher) in place of some of the semi-sweet chocolate chips. I packaged the fudge in little boxes that look like Chinese takeout boxes. So cute!
4 comments:
I have never made a good batch of fudge. I have very POOR fudge-making skills. I believe that I have tried this exact recipe, and I wound up with a delicious chocolate soup.
Remember when you used to bring me homemade ice cream? Please come be my neighbor again!
Yum. I will give it a shot since no one will be bringing fudge to me. :) Just to clarify, is that milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips?
I see you're reading New Moon. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it. Just don't quit reading it like my sister (I'm not saying it's amazing, just that it gets better). Although apparently my sister is the only person in the world who didn't like it, so go figure.
Oooh. Looks yummy. How fun to have a recipe swap today! You can make my bread bowls and I'll make your fudge. Yes, it is too bad we can't share our spoils with each other. Why can't there be a job for Kyle in Utah?
I used 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips and one cup of bittersweet chocolate. I believe you could change up the chocolate to milk without any problem. Happy fudge making!
Post a Comment