
Many of you have read, I am sure, the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. An alum from my university, and a fellow English department grad, Ms. Meyer has written a trilogy of books that center around the misadventures of Bella Swan as she interacts with vampires and werewolves in the modern day world.
I read the first one (Twilight) with a bit of trepidation, wondering if I could really believe in vampires that attended high school. An avid reader of Young Adult literature, I do not consider myself above stories that take place in high school (read every Sweet Valley High written back in the day), but I admit, I was skeptical. And the first book was just so-so for me. I tired of the lengthy descriptions of Edward's marble beauty, his kisses literally stealing Bella's breath, his sparkly skin dazzling her again and again. I was kind of creeped out by how needy Bella seemed, how caught up she was in Edward and his life. I know that teenage girls can get obsessed with their current crushes from experience, but her obsession seems unhealthy, too much. I questioned whether or not I'd finish the trilogy. But since I didn't have anything better to read, and the story was somewhat engaging, at least different then my usual read, I picked up New Moon.
This book seemed a cut above the first. Her use of literary devices is masterful. The blank chapters were surprising, appropriate, and bold. The juxtaposition of Jacob Black against Edward (who is absent in the first two-thirds of New Moon) is perfect. Meyer brought in new monsters -- not only werewolves, but also, in a clever twist, a "zombie." I thought of a few critical analysis papers I could write about this book. But now I'm about 75% done, Bella's off to some fake vampire city in Italy to save Edward, and I'm losing it. Sigh. I hope this seemingly "good" book hasn't gone bad on me. Maybe I just can't stand seeing her fall all over Edward and obsess in what seems to be a very unhealthy way. I realize I may not be the intended audience for this series (just read there's going to be a 4th), but I think every author can handle a few critics. I have to say Stephenie has lots to be proud of. She's a mother of three who's about to have her first novel made into a motion picture. I am a wee bit envious of people like her and Shannon Hale, LDS mothers who happen to be darn good writers and make a living off of their books. I hope someday I can realize some of my writing ambition. But back to New Moon. Don't spoil the ending for me, but I am interested to see how those of you who have read the trilogy rate it. I'll post my concluding thoughts when I finish the book.
Amy
3 comments:
I'm with you. I read the whole series quickly, but it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It was too much for me (I just couldn't get into a 17-year-old girl enjoying cuddling up to a stone-cold vampire!), and I'm not quick to recommend them to other people. I wouldn't let my pre-teen daughter read them either!
I loved reading your review of Twilight. I could hardly stand it, but it was a super quick read and I had nothing else to do so I finished it. The love story is a bit much, but the plot seemed weak and predictable. I won't say anything about the end of New Moon--I can hardly remember it, in fact, because I read it so fast, but overall the whole book was infinitely better than the first. I haven't got to Eclipse yet. It's waiting for me to pick it up at the library. Definitely post when you finish.
I am torn about this series as well. The first was was poorly written, the second is much better, and the third is a little better still. My conclusion is that it is what it is -- a fun, quick read with a pretty interesting plot line. I'm sure I could have used my time to read something better, but sometimes I enjoy a quick and fun read like this.
Post a Comment