Thursday, September 27, 2007

Three thoughts

1. Some things never change, but my kids are growing up too fast. Jillian is in 1st grade now, and I feel like I am reliving my childhood. She's come home to tell me how the boys chase the girls at recess and try to kiss them (my favorite 1st grade recess game), sings the same silly rhymes I sang (eenie meenie and the like), and had someone tell her boys have cooties, but had to ask me what cooties are. She's also so independent: gone at school most of the day, then outside with friends after school, walking to piano by herself, and having the nerve to tell me she's going to wear what she wants and I'd better not ask her to change. (I did remind her who's in charge.) I feel like I'll blink and she'll be a 5'10" 16 year-old trying to wheedle money and the car keys from me. She'll be tall, thin, beautiful (always beautiful to me!) and I'll wish my six year-old back. The one who's a little clumsy, has the big-front-tooth syndrome of kids her age, the one who calls me mama.

2. I was out running tonight, trying to do some sprint intervals, when I rounded the corner and saw a gorgeous sunset framed by trees showing off their fall foliage. I gasped (well, I was already gasping due to the sprint) and thought "I love my life." I love staying home with my kids, emailing Kyle during the middle of the day (we haven't caught on to texting, although we IM), making good healthy food for my family, chatting with my friends on the phone, trying new things, snuggling Kara, and having occasional moments that take my breath away.

3. Kids are amazing. Their ability to learn is phenomenal. Spend just a little time teaching kids and they will run with their new knowledge and confidence. I've been working with Hayden on reading this week, and he's taking off with it. He read a little book today that went something like this: Mat. Sam. Mat sat. Sam sat. Mat sat on Sam. Sam sat on Mat. Mat sat. Sam sat. The end. He sounded out all the words ( I helped with some vowel sounds), and was so proud to have read a book by himself. Watching that "aha" moment in his head when he realized he could read reminded me what I love, and miss, about being a teacher. I'm glad I can teach my kids at home.

Well, there you have it. Three thoughts. Hope they're worth something.

Amy

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good thoughts, Amy. I think you should have titled them, "Three thoughts, by Amy Peterson," while in your mind, using the voice from SNL that introduced the "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy."

It's fun to watch Kjersten learn how to talk! Your thought on Hayden reminded me of Kjersten.

shauna

Polliwog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Polliwog said...

(Sorry, I had a typo in my first comment, and you know I can't bear that!)

Oh, you're making me get all sentimental. I loved the last line of your first thought. I could hear a little voice saying, "mama" and I got a little teary.

As far as the Hayden thought, we are enjoying the BOB books too! Ellie giggles every time she reads "Nip at it, Muff". It's become a little joke between us and she'll whisper it to me in public and burst into the giggles.

Courtney said...

I loved your thoughts Amy. Here's hoping that I'll be as "with it" five weeks after having number three. Somehow I doubt it!