For a long time my church has advocated having a year's supply of food and an ample supply of water in case of natural disaster, extended time without a job, or the apocalypse. Now even the US government has issued better preparedness guidelines. Well, I've been working on my year's supply of jam, and I'm finally finished. I started in June with strawberry, and ended yesterday with mixed berry (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry) and raspberry. I can feel calm and assured that should a tornado strike Michigan and leave me with no way to go to Kroger, I will have approximately 30 pints of jam in my freezer and on my shelf. I'm sure it goes well with wheat kernels and dried beans, right? I also have some blueberry syrup to eat over our cornmeal and water patties we'll cook on our camp stove in the basement if there's an ice storm. See, I'm prepared. My 72-hour kit still has diapers in it from when Jillian was a baby, but never fear! Kara can use them now. And until the end of the world comes, I'll just enjoy the jam with this yummy homemade bread. If you come visit I'll share!
Amy
PS -- I got stung by a bee while picking raspberries. I didn't think anything of it at first. Now, two days later, my arm is still swollen and red in an area the size of my palm. Yikes!
2 comments:
Wow! That bread sure looks good. I think I'll go and have a piece. Now, the only question is, what type of jam should I have with it?
Yes, jam is certainly a survival staple, and I feel peace knowing your family will be provided for. :)
I've got a freezer full of peaches that I never made into jam, so you're lightyears ahead of me!
As a sidenote, I can almost taste the jam I know you'd be delivering if only I lived across the playground. Darn it. Between that and the mouse (which you can read about at my blog) I am really wishing I lived in Michigan today.
Kyle, don't eat all the bread!
Post a Comment