Thursday, September 20, 2007

Not-so-easy off, but the oven's clean!

Opening the door, the greasy abyss looms before me. I cringe to see the charred remains of pizza, cookies, bread, and countless other unrecognizable food bits sticking to the ceiling, walls, and sides of the oven. With gloves on and courage in my heart, I attack the grime. This, my friends, is a dirty job . . .

It occurred to me not long ago that we've lived in our current abode for three years and I've never cleaned the oven. I remember thinking about it sometime last year, but was dismayed to find it was not a self-cleaning oven. Six months later I finally remembered to buy oven cleaner, which I promptly placed under the sink to forget about. Well, I finally did it! I cleaned the oven. It took over an hour, partly due to the layers of grease I had to wipe away, and partly due to Kara, who cried every 5 minutes. I think it still needs more work, but it's going to be some time before I'm in the mood to tackle that job again.

Speaking of dirty jobs, there's an interesting show by that name on the Discovery Channel. The host, Mike Rowe, is pretty funny, and it will make your current job seem positively dreamy. It will also take away your appetite, so don't watch it while eating. You've been warned! Hopefully you've also been inspired to clean your own oven, or whatever dirty appliance your house holds. I did the fridge and the microwave last week. Next week, the windowsills.

Amy

PS -- You may wonder why I'm writing about something as mundane as cleaning the oven. Well, this blog is about my life, and for better or worse, my life includes things like cleaning the oven. Also, I was trying to make cleaning the oven seem somewhat interesting. You can let me know if I succeeded. Happy reading!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Now I have dirty over guilt. Thanks.