Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Dam, a Sam, a Sham: My Weekend

A Dam

I ran the Best Dam Run 10K in Estacada, Oregon, yesterday. It was a beautiful day for running. I got to meet some other women who post on the Marathon Mommy blog. Made me miss all my running friends from Michigan! I've been running alone since moving here. I also set a new PR of 52:56 (according to my Garmin). My previous 10K time was 58:19, so I improved by quite a bit. Wow. That last time is kind of embarrassing. Guess I didn't train much. It was a funny race, because it started and I didn't even realize it. When I crossed the finish line, the time said 53:30, but I can't find any official results posted anywhere online. Weird. It was good to race again after taking some time off since the marathon. I'm almost tempted to train for a half marathon at the end of November. Almost.



A Sam

After the race we headed to Lake Oswego, met up with friends (thanks for the shower!), had lunch, and hit the Portland Zoo. We were lucky enough to meet Sam, the new baby elephant. He is sooo cute. I love his wrinkly skin. I wish I could touch him. Kara enjoyed walking around everywhere. She didn't care about the animals at all, she just loved her FREEDOM. On the way home we stopped in Salem and ate at Red Lobster. Kyle needed endless shrimp. The kids were pretty much done by then, though. One more tidbit: we bought a beautiful bouquet of dahlias and gladioli from a Mennonite woman along the way. The dahlias are huge. They grow well here. I can't wait to plant my own next year!



A Sham

I don't know if this is really a sham, per se, but it was the only word I could think of that rhymed. I got my hair cut on Friday. I haven't had it cut since about June 10th, and it had gotten quite unruly. I was very specific when I said to the hairstylist "I don't want to lose any length. I'm trying to grow it out, so just trim and shape, but please keep the length." Well, somewhere between my mouth and her ears the words turned to gobbeldy gook (think adult-speak from the cartoon Peanuts here), because my hair is probably two inches shorter. AUGH! This is the third haircut I've said "I don't want to lose any length" and the third time I've ended up with much shorter hair than I wanted. I guess I'll grow it out for three more months and try to be firm. As in annoyingly insistent that the person cuts only the minimum amount required to reshape my hair. Sheesh!

I am pleased to report that I was so kind and happy with my children this week. Pea even had a few meltdowns, but I kept my cool. I feel very good about that!

Coming soon: the unveiling of the Halloween project that has taken me a year to complete. I know, you can't wait.

Amy

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's silly that I eagerly await each new post even though I already know most of what's going on in your life. Just can't get enough of you!

Mandy said...

Thanks for the dahlias! Thanks for a fun Saturday . . . anytime you need a shower, you are more than welcome!

Congrats again on the Personal Best!

caligirl said...

Good for you! Nothing is better then a PR!! I'm glad to see things are going well. I need to call YOU! I keep forgetting to put your new number in my phone and when I am out running around (which equates for 80% of my time:-) I don't have your number. I love the watermelon outfit for Mace! It is so cute. I promise to call soon!

Amy D said...

Congrats on your race! 52 minutes is quite amazing! And sorry about your haircutter. Mine has the same problem. If you get her talking (hence, not paying attention to your hair), you're really in for it!

Angie said...

Wow, lots going on. Sounds like fun, except for the running of course. Just kidding. Way to beat your time though! Congrats. I still can't believe that Kara is walking now. That's crazy. Cute elephant too. I'm sorry that you keep losing length on your hair. It always seems that way. Utah is the only place I can get a fantastic hair cut-of course it's from my sister.

Michael Family said...

I am curious about the Halloween project! I myself am hoping James sticks with his plan to be a ghost, because that is so easy. And you look super skinny in that running picture.