Today was a busy day. I picked blackberries (more jam!), made bread, took the kids shoe shopping, went running, cleaned two bathrooms, dried pears, took Kyle to work, made a pretty good dinner (turkey apple patties, rosemary mashed potatoes, and green beans with pinenuts), talked to my brother, and even took a power nap. I am so excellent at taking power naps. The last thing on my list for the day was a biggie: Attend Young Women Activity and Help Girls Tie Dye. How do you like them capital letters? My mother would shriek with horror if she saw them, but she doesn't read my blog so I'm in the clear. End tangent.
Yes, after four years of serving in the primary (ages 18 months - 12 years) organization of my church, I have been called to be an advisor of the 14-15 year-olds. Tonight was my first taste of life in Young Women's. Wow. It's been a while. I taught high school from 1999 - 2001, but all my skills with teens have vanished, I think. I felt kind of like I was back at junior high, standing in the corner with my hands in the pockets of my hoodie, wondering who to talk to. I wasn't wearing a neon t-shirt with a slide and tight leggings, but I can find those clothes again today, so it's possible. By the end of the night I had talked to most of the girls, cleaned up plenty of tie dye spills, and had an okay time. I might even go back. But first I clearly need to brush up on my texting skills, practice giving hugs to everyone I see, and listen to a song called "Take the Skinheads Bowling." My favorite moment? Explaining to the girl singing the song what a skinhead is. We decided bowling would be a good activity for them to engage in. And my tie dye bag? Snap! It's so cute. It'll be fun, right? They won't think I'm totally dorky and ignore everything I say, right?
Amy
10 comments:
LOL, that's hilarious. You totally described teenage girls perfectly!!!! I bet you will have so much fun with them and I don't doubt that dealing with teenagers will come back to you in no time. Have fun and definitely keep us updated! Tie Dye huh? you will definitely need to post pictures of that.
Oh, you'll be great and they will all love you! I mean, you are already so cool because you have a blog. Now maybe you should get on facebook or something like that? Good luck with the girls, and I want to see this bag.
In our ward the leaders have to text the girls reminders for the activities. Texting is definitely a good skill for a YW leader.
You'll be great!
man is it really possible to do all that in one day??!! you must move at the speed of light!! have fun in YW we miss you in primary!!
Good luck, fuddy duddy. Just kidding!!! You're hip and trendy in my book.
Can I come eat at your house? That is crazy how much you did. I have been in YW for 5 years and am definitely still not cool. But since you have a cell phone, and thus the ability to text, I am sure you will make cool status before long.
Congrats on the new calling! You'll be awesome. And I'm totally with you on the power nap thing. 10 minutes makes a HUGE difference.
Wow you got more accomplished in one day than I have all week. Way to go. Hope you are enjoying everything there. Good luck with Young Women's. Wow I remember how moody and whinny I was at that age. They need someone like you to set it straight.
Lucky you! I loved working in Y.W.
Wow, there are a ridiculous amount of comments here, which leaves me very little to say.
But don't worry, that never stops me. :) Hey, don't you capitalize all the Important words? That's what the 8th graders always told Me.
Post a Comment