Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday Thoughts

Several things are on my mind today. The first is this NY Times article about a Nebraska Safe Haven law meant to protect babies. It seems the language of the law says you can safely abandon children up to age 19 at hospitals, police stations, and other "safe havens" in Nebraska. Other states have similar laws to help alleviate so-called "dumpster" babies, which are usually abandoned by young mothers who have kept their pregnancies secret. One father, whose wife passed away, abandoned 9 of his 10 children. Wow. So if you don't want your kids any more, just drive them to Nebraska and hand them off. I feel sadness and worry for those parents who feel like their only option is abandonment. I feel even worse for the kids -- especially those older children, who know they're being abandoned. I'm sure Nebraska is going to fix the law, but it is a thought-provoking topic. I've been thinking seriously about becoming a foster parent once my youngest child is 4 or 5. That's years away, but I think it's an important thing to do.

Next, I read this article in the Reader's Digest magazine during breakfast this morning. It's about a NYC mother who let her 9 year-old ride the subway home alone. She wasn't neglecting him; rather, he wanted to see if he could figure out public transportation and make it home by himself. The premise of the article is that we are too fearful for our children. The things we used to do as kids -- run the streets all day in summer, walk to friends' homes far away, ride our bikes to the grocery store -- aren't very common anymore. I needed to read this article. I'm trying to loosen up and be less paranoid. I even let Jillian enter a public restroom by herself. It was a big moment for me. I was checking out groceries in a nearby line and could see the bathroom door, and Jillian couldn't wait. I've even stopped imagining that the children are being kidnapped out of their bedrooms at night, for the most part. I think parents today need to be very aware of the influences on their kids, and protect them accordingly, but kids also need independence and to grow up without fearing everything, and everyone, around them. Let me know what you think.

TA DA! It's done! The Halloween countdown calendar (design borrowed from Pottery Barn Kids -- please don't sue me) I started in September of 2007 is finished, hung, and stuffed with Halloween goodies. My crafty friend Anna got all the supplies and figured out patterns, and a few friends got together to work on them. I quickly got left in the dust, mostly because Kara was a newborn and I was kind of busy, so I'm so happy that I actually finished this project! It involved a lot of hand and machine sewing, and more thread-switching than I've ever done before. And it's going to be proudly displayed every October until I die. : )


The finished project, except the bottom row. I was backed up against a wall and couldn't fit it all in.


Just to show you some of the detail. I loved doing the skeleton's bones because I learned a new stitch, which I have now forgotten.



Bonus picture: Kara trying to raid the fridge. Too bad you can't hear her little grunt as she tries to pry the door open.

What's on your mind?

Amy

13 comments:

caligirl said...

I hear you!! Zack has been asking to ride his bike to school .82 miles away. I am having the hardest time letting him but I know I need to. I have been known to get into the car and follow him with out him knowing. He needs to feel independent but it is hard to let go!! I too have thought about being a foster parent. Especially for newborns. It will be awhile for me too but I think it is something I would reallly like to do. I love the halloween count down!!! So cute.
Thanks for the "thoughts" :-)

Polliwog said...

That advent calendar is amazing! I'm bummed I missed out on that project. It would have made staying in Northwood a little longer worth it. Well, maybe that's overstating it a bit. But it IS fabulous!

Ken and Amy said...

I love your calendar!!! You did a great job! What kind of treats did you put into each pocket? I miss those fun PBK Northwood projects....

jonutz gang said...

Ok you are so creative and really good at these things. Way to go. I am so paranoid about all those things too. I read too many stories. Let me know how you overcome that one:) so I can work on it.

Drewmeister said...

I love the Halloween calendar.

Liz said...

Way to go on your calendar! I feel your pain. I just finished my Christmas Advent calendar. I packed the sewing machine away after having it out since Mothers Day!

The Dean Family said...

AMY! HI IT'S ME..DANAE from Ricks (well i guess it's byu idaho now)..anyway..i lived below you with megann wilkerson (your friend who was my old roommate who i've kept in touch with for years who i saw your blog on her blog..ha!ha!)...anyway..it was so nice to see you and your blog..you have a darling little family..i would love to keep in touch..i have a blog too..however it is private so e-mail me your e-mail address and i'll send you an invite:danaedean@hotmail.com
take care..danae

Todd and Anna said...

Your calendar looks amazing! Mine will also be displayed until I die!

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! Love the Halloween countdown!!! I'm attempting a PB Christmas advent knockoff... I haven't touched it for months. You've inspired me to get going on it.

Amy D said...

WOW!!! That calendar is amazing! I was honestly going to buy the one in the Pottery Barn catalog. I loved it that much. Now I can just pay you to make one for me ;) Way to go, Amy. I'm very impressed! And it was fun to talk to you the other day. I miss you!

Sweeney Household said...

I LOVE the calendar! My mom copied Pottery Barn Kids for me last year & made a Thanksgiving one. I am super impressed with yours. Your kids are loving it, I'm sure!!!

Steph said...

Gorgeous calendar. You have amazing abilities.

Mandie said...

Do you have a pattern for that calendar? I would love to make that too, it is so stinking cute. Was it hard? It looks hard!