Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What I learned at the allergist

I know it sounds totally dorky, and my family makes fun of me for it, but I have bad allergies. They started when I was young, but got worse when I was about 20. I've been tested by 4 allergists now, and they all say that I am very allergic to several things. I just got tested again on Tuesday, since I've moved to a new "climate" area, and here are the thrilling results:

* I am allergic to cats and dogs. I didn't know that. I thought I was only allergic to cats. Poor, poor Jillian. She's given up on a cat or a dog and is now just hoping for a fish.

* I'm not allergic to maple or oak trees, although I am allergic to others. Hooray! Now I can jump in them. I've been avoiding them for years.

* I am allergic to one family of molds. I can't remember the name of them, but I was pretty allergic. The prick mark on my skin went all puffy and red. How do you avoid mold? Can you even see most molds?

* I am super allergic to grass. Not good, since the county I live in GROWS GRASS SEED as one of its major industries. Sigh. That means vigorous allergy shots to get ready for the next growing season. My parents used to think I was totally faking when I'd come in from mowing their ACRE LAWN with a PUSH MOWER and not be able to breathe. Maybe I should send them the results of my allergy test.

* I have mild asthma. Now I am a super dork. It only bothers me when I'm running, though, so I got a sweet inhaler. Nice, nice.

Allergies are kind of annoying, but there are worse chronic conditions to have. Getting shots seems to be working, though, and Zyrtec went generic, so things might be looking up. Just don't make fun of me, okay?

Ah choo Amy

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you mean don't make fun of you for having allergies, or just in general?

amydear said...

Ha ha, oh clever one. How about in general?

Michael Family said...

It's ok Amy, we still love you. Although you know that kids with allergies are the butt of all sitcoms and poorly written movies.

Amy D said...

I'd never make fun of you!

Angie said...

Man, that bites that you have so many allergies. Good luck with the whole grass growing season. You should totally send your parents the results of the test. Just kidding.

Mandy said...

Aren't those all the same things that Steve Urkel was allergic too?

Kidding! You are way cooler than Steve Urkel.

Melissa said...

I'm right there with ya Amy... I have bad allergies and slight asthma too. sigh. I feel your pain!

Polliwog said...

I have some allergies too, notably hay fever, some pollens and cats. It would be interesting for me to do the back scratch test, but for now I just pop my zyrtec.

I wonder if an inhaler would make me run faster? ;)

Maren Hansen said...

Derek has major allergies and moderate asthma. I feel for you and Jillian. On second thought, at least you got out of mowing the lawn!! I picked up one of those nifty inhalers when I moved here and started having asthma issues. Sorry, Em, doesn't make me run faster. Of course, I'm a sample size of only one... :)