Sunday, September 21, 2008

2 Milestones and a football game

First milestone: Pea lost his first tooth! And he let me do the last yanking! Oh how I love to yank out teeth that are ready to come out. What a satisfying feeling. The Bean doesn't let me yank out her teeth, although sometimes I have because she'll let them stay in there while she refuses to eat. Thanks, Pea, for letting me yank. Can't wait for the next one, which should be coming out in a week or two.

Okay, is he just adorable or what? He was so excited when the tooth fairy brought him $1.15. Just the amount he said he should get. What's the going rate for teeth at your house?

Second milestone: Jillian threatened to run away. There's no picture to accompany this one. I have no idea what precipitated her sudden change from happy girl to crazed seven year-old planning her escape, but it was dramatic! And it didn't end well, as she was banging down doors and trying to bite me. But after a little heart to heart while she was under her bed and I was laying on the floor next to the bed, my nice daughter returned. If this little rampage was any indication of teenage years, we'll be looking for a boarding school. Can we blame it on hormones at this age? I did find the running away conversation kind of cute, since I remember doing the same thing, even down to making the sandwiches, but then she kept getting more and more upset. Good thing that's over, for now.

A football game: Kyle's department sponsored a tailgate and tickets to the football game this weekend. It was fun to be in a stadium again, although this one seemed very small after The Big House. The team didn't do so well, but we're not really fans yet, so it's okay. It was fun to be with Kyle and without veggies. I think they had a great time with Uncle Jonas and Aunt Shauna. It's so nice to trade babysitting!

At the tailgate, trying to embrace the new colors and school spirit.

Waiting for the team to come on the field.

The UGLIEST uniforms I've ever seen college football players wear, and our mascot -- Donald Duck. At least Donald has a temper and likes to get in fights. A real duck is kind of a lame mascot. Not as lame as a beetdigger, but close.

My goal for the new week? Avoid getting so angry at my children that I want to bop them on the head harder than I should. I think this one will take a lot of prayer. Jillian and Hayden both had major meltdowns last week, so I was feeling a bit frazzled. Hopefully a nice, fun weekend has everyone feeling better. If anyone has any good advice about diffusing angry feelings quickly, I need it. You heard about Jillian's meltdown earlier in this post. Hayden's occurred as we were walking the 1/3 of a mile to piano lessons on Thursday. He literally refused to walk and had to be dragged. I was pushing Kara, trying to watch traffic and walk safely, and dragging Hayden by his arm. Not a pretty sight. Sometimes this motherhood thing is a bit much, huh?

Amy

8 comments:

Angie said...

Wow, so many mixed emotions in one post. I totally remember threatening to run away my whole childhood. Of course that could have been because of my older siblings teasing me all the time. I really think it's just her age. They learn a lot from friends and especially where she is making ALL new friends, you don't know them as well and don't know their tempers as well. Good luck with that! Congrats to Hayden for losing his first tooth! That's so fun for them. Gotta love those meltdowns. I guess it's just another way to make sure you really appreciate the good times eh?

The mosiac shouldn't have been hard to make. I totally made it harder on myself by not following the links and directions step by step. There are links in the directions if you look closely at me blog. Let me know if you need some help making it. It was fun to make just to see what pictures you could get.

Michael Family said...

well, you can go through kid emotions first, and then when my kids do it, you can give me advice. Thanks for paving the way, amy!

amy said...

Ahhh, the sweet life of motherhood. I've been there many times myself but then it all turns around and life is bliss again. Hopefully this week will be calmer for you.

jan said...

I agree, the ugliest uniforms.

I think it is the adjustment to new school schedule, it seemed like we went through a week or so like that. Then they calm down and are all happy again.

The run away is classic, I think everyone has one of those stories.

Sara said...

Since my parents are Beavers I must admit I've always laughed at Donald...who thought he'd be a decent mascot? Then again, beavers? Welcome to Oregon!

Amy D said...

OK, I seriously cannot picture sweet little Jillian having a meltdown. Seven years old is a killer, though, so just hang in there and she'll pull through it. And congrats to Hayden on his tooth. I can't believe you pulled it out. I can't be anywhere near when that last yank needs to happen, let alone be the one to do it. You're a brave woman. Tell Jillian we love her--and you too!

Mandy said...

What is it with Oregon mascots? Seriously, Ducks and Beavers? Now there's a rivalry.

As far as the meltdown thing, we've had our fair share, and we all still love each other . . . things will look up soon!

Polliwog said...

You made what I know are incredibly frustrating situations sound quite humorous. At least you can look back on them without the emotions.

Smidget and I had a blowout this week too and it was ugly. I was on my knees a lot trying to keep my cool. Let me know if you come up with a great solution. :) Until then, good luck!!