Tortellini Soup
1 T olive oil
1 C white onion, roughly chopped
1 C red pepper, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t Italian seasoning
1-2 C water
2 C roughly chopped raw spinach, or 1 C frozen spinach (adjust for less water if using frozen)
2 cans white beans (navy or great northern), rinsed and drained
20 oz. chicken or vegetable broth
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
9 oz cheese tortellini (I usually use Trader Joe's or Barilla brand shelf stable tortellini)
optional: 1 small can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
optional: 1/2 lb Italian sausage, browned
Garnish with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve with breadsticks, homemade focaccia,
or Italian bread.
Directions:
Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions, red pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Saute for five minutes, or until ingredients are tender.
Add the water, spinach, beans, broth, tomatoes (with juices), and artichokes to the pot.
Raise the heat and bring the soup to a boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes. Add sausage here if you desire.
Add the tortellini and cook until al dente.
Note: If you want to start this soup earlier in the day, don't cook the tortellini until about 20 minutes before you want to serve it. The pasta tends to absorb most of the liquid. Have some extra broth on hand in case your soup ends up more like a dish you'd eat with a fork!
Everyone who tries this soup thinks it's delicious. All of my kids eat it too, which is a bonus! I have a good recipe for a homemade focaccia. I usually make that to go with it, and maybe serve a bit of fruit. I don't usually make it with the Italian sausage because the beans add a lot of protein. I do prefer the fresh spinach.
I'm trying to eat well this week in preparation for the deluge of candy coming my way this weekend. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it! Any great ideas for not going overboard?
8 comments:
Maybe try eating a lot of food before consuming the sweets. It's supposed to work for alcohol, but I wouldn't know. :)
I love that soup! I praise your name for giving it to me every time I make it. It is truly delicious. In fact, I think I'll make it on Halloween before all the sugar comes charging into our house.
I love that soup too. I never made it with the sausage. I didn't even realize that was part of the recipe--it's so good without it. I am so jealous that you were home alone.
I will be making this soup, yum!! As for the candy, I am no help, I love chocolate. But we can hang out and eat halloween candy together if you want. What you doing Sunday?
Here is my great idea for not going overboard . . . every time I look at the bags of candy I throw a handful away out of each. The kids have never noticed yet!
We LOVE this soup. I make it about twice a month in the winter!! It is the best! Thanks!
Wow, I love those stolen quiet moments when everyone is gone!
This soup sounds delicious! I'm always looking for new soup recipes, I think I'll try this one soon. I would love to have your focaccia recipe as well, if you get a minute.
I made that soup last Saturday for Super Saturday at the church! Yum. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment