Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Taste of Tuesday - Zucchini Soup

Am I the only one that has to think every time I spell the name of this vegetable? Is it two C's or two H's? And why can't I remember which? Same with broccoli, but that's not in the soup today.

Wait a minute! Stop the recipe writing! I've just solved my problem. Zucchini and Broccoli both have two C's! TWO! Now I will never spell those words wrong again. If I can remember that.

To me, autumn means soup for dinner. With bread. Homemade bread or store-bought bread. But if it's store-bought, it has to be something especially yummy, maybe with the word "artisan" in it.

I have four or five go-to soups for fall and winter, and one is bubbling away on my stove right now. I was a skeptic when my sister-in-law Jill first served it to me, but within a few bites I was converted. I hope you are too.

Tonight I am serving Zucchini Soup (two C's) with apple muffins. Mmm. Don't you wish you were coming for dinner?

Zucchini Soup

6 medium zucchini
1 large onion
6 strips bacon (uncooked)
2 C chicken stock
2 t salt (sea salt is best)
1 t freshly ground pepper
1 t dried basil, or 2T fresh basil, chopped
2 C water

Put strips of bacon into large soup pot over medium to medium high heat. Let the bacon cook for a few minutes. It does not need to be cooked all the way. Meanwhile, chop zucchini and onions into large chunks and add to pot. Add in basil, salt, and pepper. Pour chicken stock and water over the ingredients and stir. Simmer for 30 minutes or until everything is tender. Remove bacon from pot and cool slightly. Blend with immersion blender in the pot, or transfer soup to blender to blend until smooth.

Serves our family of 5 very nicely.

I've always wanted to make some Parmesan crisps to garnish this soup, but I never have. I would also consider adding in carrots and white beans for a heartier version.

I hope you try it!

Amy

PS -- I have to admit the original recipe doesn't tell you to remove the bacon. But I had a hard time blending the bacon until smooth. And boiled bacon fat chunks are yucky. The last time I made it, I took the bacon out to make it almost vegetarian. The flavor remained the same, and the texture was much better. So I would suggest following my instructions above.

2 comments:

Michael Family said...

Yum, I will have to try that. I have homemade wheat bread that just got out of the oven, and kids that love zucchini. Too bad I only have 2 in our fridge.

mama bear said...

I love the new look! And for me, the word I struggle with is vacuum. Thank goodness for automatic spell check!