Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thursday Thoughts and Fall Photos

You may have thought I'd be all out of thoughts after my wonderings on Wednesday, but it just isn't so. My brain is still whirring away -- full of totally intelligent and timely thoughts. Here's what's on my mind today:

1. This headline: "Pirates Threaten Christmas Shopping." At first I thought it meant that once people bought the horrible movie Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, or whatever it is, they'd no longer be in the mood to go Christmas shopping. But, no, the story is talking about real pirates. They are off the coast of Somalia, and so many ships have been captured (30 in a year) that some freighters are starting to go around the tip of Africa instead, which takes much longer. Who knew that there were still legitimate pirates around. Something to think about, eh?

2. I think I have a crush on Troy Bolton. Not a big one, and hardly a conscious one, but ever since watching HSM II last week with my kids (getting ready for the big HSM III Senior Year flick coming out this weekend), I've had the song "Bet On It" in my head. I walk around the house singing it and doing some pretty sweet Troy Bolton-esque dance moves. I'm no Gabriella (thank goodness!), but until that song gets out of my head, who knows? Maybe I'll put up a poster. I liked Zac in Hairspray too. I'm not gonna stop, not gonna stop until I get my shot . . .

3. Some people (not me, really) like to joke about what their name would be if they were in an adult film. I'm not into that kind of thing. What I'm interested in is what name I'm going to go by as a grandparent. My sister's in-laws are coming into town, and she's always talking about Goomba and Papa. My other sister's kids' great-grandparents go by Poppy and Gigi. Some people have Nana's or Nanny's; Kyle's mom likes to go by G-ma. My mom tries to be Grandma K, but it hasn't really caught on yet. One of Kyle's nephews used to call his Dad "Bonkers." Me? Well, the whole subject kind of makes me squirm. Can anyone think of a fun sophisticated grandma name that doesn't sound, well, grandma-ish? How about Amy? Can they call me Amy?

Since you've humored me this long, I might as well post the photos of us at pumpkin patches, apple orchards, and the like. Fall fun! But no donuts were found. Alas and alack. I did try to convince one woman that her farm needed some, but she wasn't going for it. Kyle's in charge of our ward's harvest festival tomorrow, so more pics to come! It's like a huge Halloween preview, with spook alley, carnival games, trunk or treat, chili dinner, etc. Fun for him!

I love the look on Kara's face and her wispy hair blowing in the wind.

Hayden's favorite part was definitely the hay maze.

Jillian shows us her best spooky face.

This pumpkin is not ideal, the Bean pronounced.

Kara chases her cousin Kjersten through the corn maze. It was a perfect size for families.

Ta ta!

Amy

12 comments:

Steph said...

Thank you for enlightening me about modern day pirates. I feel like my life will definitely be different now that I know. Also, I think you and Kyle are a much better match than you and Troy Bolton. As for the Grandma name, I'll have to ponder that one.

Michael Family said...

I have heard about the pirates too! That is so crazy. Your kids are cute. We miss them!

Polliwog said...

We called our grandmas "Cookie Grandma" and "Candy Grandma". You could be "Donut Grandma", "Eggplant Grandma" or "Raspberry Grandma". :)

Melissa said...

No donuts? Now that's an orchard tragedy.

I called my grandmas Grammie and Nani... We're still finding a name for my mom as grandma. I think you've got a while to think about it. :)

Angie said...

I don't have any fun names for you unfortunately. Maybe Grammy and Pappy? Hmmm, who knows. I was aware of the modern day pirates. How sad for all those people that they are stealing from. The apple orchard looks like fun!

jonutz gang said...

I am so glad you guys found an apple orchard. I still can't believe Kara is walking. She looks so cute and soo happy struting along. Sorry they don't have the donughts. I will eat some for you next time we go:).

Liz said...

OK, to start off I am not a huge fan of the High School Musical movies, but I had to watch the second one because it was filmed on the golf course my dad was a pro at. It was a cool place. As for the grandma names you can't go by Amy, and this is why: my grandma didn't want us to call her grandma, just Ann and she has never been a sweet, caring, loving, lady to us as grandchildren, we are just a burden she has to give money to on our birthdays, and Christmas. So you must have a name, even if it is just grandma so that your grandchildren will feel loved.

Maren Hansen said...

We found cider but no donuts as well! Sigh... I miss Dexter... I too am in love with Troy. We saw HSM3 yesterday and I loved it, but I think my kids were a little confused. You guys seen it yet?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...luckily for Troy, the link for his picture isn't working. Since I don't know what he looks like I won't be able to beat the crap out of him by the bike racks.

As far as your quest for a good grandma name, check out this site:

http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/granny.html

I think you could combine Grandma and Amy and be called Gamy. Kinda like Gammy or Grammy, but more like the taste of a wild buffalo.

Amy D said...

Wow, look at all I've missed while I've been prepping for, going on, and cleaning up after our trip! Good to catch up with you. I love your pics of the pumpkin patch. I sure haven't found anything out here that even comes close to Arena Farms.

amy said...

I think Poppy and Gigi is dang cute.
You sure do have a lot on your mind - how do you function!!
rock on

Stapletons said...

Oh my goodness! Kara looks just like Kyle in that picture at the beginning!
Scott's mom goes by Macha (Maka) which is grandma in New Zealand. She feels like that's a lot less Grandma-esque.
No they can't call you Amy! :) Maybe Grammy Amy. That's cute!
Love, KT