Thursday, October 30, 2008

Does this cookie make me look fat?

Photography by Hayden

No, don't worry, this isn't a self-deprecating post about my midsection woes. Rather, it's the results of a very unscientific experiment I've been conducting for the last month. The results could make for a good weekend, so keep reading! But first, thanks to Britney for the perfectly frosted cookies featured in today's post. I had 2.5 and it was enough that I don't feel the need to make my own.

About a month ago I decided to see if I could lose a pound or two, or five, by being stricter about my eating habits. I imposed a "no eating after 8:30pm" rule, with only one night a week as a freebie. I did eat fruits and veggies after 8:30, though, because those are pretty much good for you. And it's hard to gorge on carrot sticks. I also started eating less saturated fat, mainly by cutting out a lot of cheese and eggs. My lunch of choice became cinnamon toast on homemade whole wheat bread, with fruit or yogurt as a side. I refused many a treat, and was feeling full of willpower. After about three weeks of this, I didn't lose an ounce. Not one. Maybe a half a pound for one day, but no big improvement. So for the last two weeks I've ignored a lot of my rules. I've had ice cream (not a lot, but some) at 10:00pm, cookies after school, and microwave popcorn. For lunch one day I had a slice of apple pie, a la mode of course, followed by a serving of Cheetos. All in the name of science, I tell you! Now I'm still doing my regular 5 days a week of exercise, with a goal of burning around 400 calories a day, and guess what. I haven't gained an ounce. Not a one.

Moral of the story: if your body is at a pretty healthy weight, or "set point," you don't have to be a food Nazi. Just try to eat pretty much healthy, indulge every once in a while if you want to, and make sure your clothes are fitting well! And if you do go way overboard for a day or two, like on Halloween, just keep to your regular regimen after that and your body will put itself right back to that number on the scale. Or at least mine does. What to do to lose those mythical five pounds? Start running 30 miles a week, stop eating sugar, get liposuction, or -- best of all -- get it out of your head that you have five pounds to lose. Here's to moderation!

Amy

BTW, here's a kind of candid shot taken of me by Hayden this weekend. Just if you were wondering what I looked like. I think I look tired in this one! Yikes!

4 comments:

Amy D said...

I totally agree! It's so true. When I try to be "good" and keep within all the healthy guidelines, all I am is hungry and stressed about it. But when I just relax and eat in moderation, as you say, my body stays just the same. I think you look fabulous!

Michael Family said...

That photo of you says "pumpkin." (the color, not the body shape) I have found the same thing--I can regulate really well and always stay within about 5 lbs of my regular weight, and still eat sweets. Hee hee.

Unknown said...

I can't believe that Marisa called you fat.

Stapletons said...

Amen to that! I hate dieting! I try to focus on eating more good foods, but try not to get uptight on myself about restricting foods, because otherwise I feel like I'm neglecting myself of what I really want, and feel even more hungry.