Thursday, October 16, 2008

Oops

Guess who's not rocking the vote this year? That would be me, shirking my civic duty. I missed new voter registration. It closed this Tuesday. Oops! You see, to vote I would have had to get my driver's license changed to reflect my new state. And to do that I would have had to take the written test. And to do that I would have had to read the little booklet of driving laws. And I was too lazy. Shame on me! I was just getting all geared up to do it, though, when I heard that registration was closed. And I'm pretty sure it's too late to get an absentee ballot from Michigan, so I'm out of luck. I'm trying to console myself by saying that I was completely undecided on who to vote for, and that the debates didn't make things any clearer for me. But I am bummed. I won't get my cool "I voted" sticker and my kids will probably notice. One or two of them always went with me to vote.

Another oops goes to the BYU Cougars, who stunk it up tonight against TCU. I watched the first half, but am now blogging because I can't stand to watch them play so poorly. I hope they can recover enough of their season to get a good bowl bid! I'm still a fan!

And last but not least, Hayden said something funny a few days ago. He was talking about how everyone in our family needs a "food" name. He's Pea, Jillian's The Bean, Kara is Asparagus, and so Kyle and I need a name too. He told me I could pick mine (I'm still thinking about it), but that Kyle should be known as "Kyle Baloney." I thought that was quite appropriate. Hee hee.

We're off to go apple picking and pumpkin choosing this weekend. I'm hoping we stumble upon some fresh donuts and cider. They were plentiful in Michigan, but I haven't heard of any here. Here is a picture of the kids four years ago at the pumpkin patch. Look how blond Hayden was!

Amy

Oh, and in case you were wondering I had a perfectly normal conversation with that same woman the other day. All of your kind comments and advice must have helped.

10 comments:

Megs said...

We registered in MI, but have TX licenses so I don't know if it worked for us. I might be in your same boat!!

I am so glad Matt was out of town last night for the TCU game. It is seriously emotional for him. I am not looking forward to his call this morning because I know it will still be weighing heavy on him.

rebecca said...

How about AmyPita?...or just Pita;)
We've had our share of cider donuts and I don't think I can have autumn without them. I hope you find them!

Mary Poppins said...

ooh, that is pretty bad. but admittedly, you had some obstacles to overcome with that written test. if it makes you feel any better, according to the latest nytimes electoral map, oregon is solidly blue and so your presidental vote wouldn't matter anyway. (the senate race is a different story. i'm assuming you'd have been voting for gordon smith and he's in a tight race. as a democrat, i can't say i'm too disappointed. i'm hoping we make it to the magic number of 60 dems in the senate.)

amydear said...

Hey, don't assume any political affiliations! In a world of extreme partisanship, I am decidedly undecided. A moderate independent, if such a thing exists. Although I listen to countless hours of political analysis when I run in the mornings, I still feel pretty clueless when it comes to understanding the political scene.

Angie said...

Wow the kids look so young. I can't believe it. That's too bad about not being able to vote. Sometimes life just gets in the way and there's nothing we can do about it. I'm glad that you were able to have a good conversation with that lady. Hopefully it will lead to a long and happy friendship! I wish you luck!

Ken and Amy said...

can't wait to hear what your new nickname will be. I'm sure Hayden can come up with a good one for you if you can't decide!

Mary Poppins said...

mary poppins--amydear, i stand corrected. you do seem to be a staunch independent. i was only assuming you'd be voting for gordon smith because of the whole lds thing. it's tempting. i even voted for mitt romney during the primaries (but only because the dems weren't counting the dem votes because mi broke party rules and moved its primary to jan. i figured if i couldn't vote for a democrat i might as well vote for romney).
by the way, that pic of jillian is how i'll always remember her. as my little sunbeam.

Unknown said...

That picture is so darn cute! I thought that Kyle would be a good carrot, Kyle Carrot. But if Baloney is declared, I will not meddle. I need to give more thought to yours. You're more complicated than Kyle. :)

Unknown said...

I meant complex, not complicated.

Michael Family said...

I can't see how it could be anything except AmyIceCream. And isn't Kyle a bean too, as in string bean? Although baloney is pretty funny.