Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dinner at the Veggie House, and Thar She Blows (whale watching pics)

How's that for a title? You are intrigued, no?

I sat down today to make a menu for the week. I am feeling decidedly anti-meat this week, so I chose lots of dinners that involve good flavors, lots of veggies, and some alternate means of protein. This evening I chose to make a vegetable lasagna with white sauce instead of red. I lovingly chopped red peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, and onion and sauteed them in olive oil and garlic. I added in spinach and seasonings. Then I made a beautiful creamy bechamel sauce, to which I added a blend of 4 Italian cheese. I layered everything, including a ricotta mixture, into a pan and baked it until it was bubbly. The table was set, the bread was crusty, and I brought the plates over, laden with my lasagna of love. The reaction? Jillian declared herself "not hungry" and hid her head. Hayden asked for more bread, and more bread, and more bread. Kara, bless her little palate, ate hers up quite readily, but spit some spinach out. I ate my portion, excused myself from the table, and went to my bed to read a book. That left Kyle to deal with the whiners and help them to finish the dinner they clearly didn't want to eat. In the end, they ate it just fine. They may have even liked it. Am I discouraged? No. And, no April Foolin', I'm serving black bean burgers tomorrow night. Let's see how that goes over. Ha!

Whale watching was fun and funny. We got to the spot where there were volunteers to help you find the whales. It was a slightly overcast morning, but the ocean was pretty calm and it wasn't too cold. We quickly spotted sea lions basking on rocks, and a few swimming out to go fishing. The kids thought that was pretty cool. Then Kyle and I took turns with the binoculars, trying to spot whales. The people in the know said that several had been spotted that morning fairly close to shore. We were optimistic. Then, about 20 minutes later, the woman sitting next to us kept saying, while looking through her binoculars, "Yep, there's one. I see a spout. Another spout. A tail. There's a back. Another spout. Yep." Meanwhile Kyle and I are frantically trying to figure out exactly where in the VAST ocean in front of us she was seeing this. This happened two or three times before we finally spotted a spout. "A SPOUT!" I yelled. Hey, I couldn't help it. It was exciting and reassuring. After that we had several spout and back sightings, but the whales were pretty far out. You could see them with the naked eye, but nothing too specific. Luckily later, while we were visiting an lighthouse, a gray whale was swimming by incredibly close to the rocks below us. We saw its spotted back as it swam. That was cool. I can see us going back again and again to spot whales, now that we know how to find them. We don't have any pictures of the whales, but here are some of us enjoying our day. It was fun to have Shauna and her girls come too. I think everyone had a great time.

Amy




10 comments:

rebecca said...

Have you tried Giada's veggie lasagna? Her recipe is on food network. It's a lot of chopping, but worth it. I think it's called "individual vegetable lasagna" b/c she layered each serving in oven safe individual serving bowls. I adapted it for a 9x13 and just had to add more cheese to make it more cohesive. It's really good. Thanks for sharing your black bean burger plans. I'm going to copy you. I've been craving a burger with guac & I'm not a big meat eater....sounds like a fun 4/1 thing to try.

Mandy said...

You saw more whales than we did (0)! We're going to try again in August. You in?

jan said...

Sounds like a fun adventure. And what a yummy dinner.

Michael Family said...

If you ever make that lasanga for me, I promise I will eat it and LOVE it!

Angie said...

What a mom moment with the dinner. My mom said she stopped cooking because of moments like that. LOL. Whale watching sounds like a lot of fun. What a great outing!

Mandie said...

Okay, we are going to have to come out for that! That sounds super cool!

mama bear said...

You're making me hungry! I get so frustrated when my kids won't eat what I make, especially when it's something I know they would like. Whale watching sounds fun too, I'm glad you saw some!

Heather said...

I don't even feel sorry for you because in the end you got to leave and not hear all of the whining (something I don't get to do!), AND in the end they ate the food anyway. I would consider that a smashing success!

We LOVED whale watching in Puerto Vallarta - almost a religious experience man!

Amy D said...

Hey, I made a vegetable lasagna this week too! Mine had broccoli and mushrooms in it though. Hate to say it, but my kids had the same reaction as yours. I had lots of leftovers to eat the rest of the week--all by myself! I'm jealous about the whales. They're always so much fun to see!

Joel Deehr said...

When I want to see whales, I just youtube them. Im glad you got to see them in real life.