Monday, March 16, 2009

FB reject

I just joined Facebook tonight. A lot of Kyle's family is on, and friends from Boston, so I thought it might be a good way to build some relationships or something like that. Turns out FB is just another way for me to feel socially inadequate. I mean, what if you find someone from high school that you were totally friends with, but haven't talked to in 10 years or so (I graduated 14 years ago). Then you ask them to be your "friend" and they ignore you. It's like junior high all over again. I still have bad dreams about that, so why am I setting myself up for this?? Can anyone out there relieve my FB stress? Is it fun? Is it worth it? Is it a time-sucking black hole? Do you have to put up a weird picture of yourself close up with just part of your face showing, and your hair falling in your eyes?

Okay, my more rational self here. I forget sometimes that I'm an adult now, an adult that functions well in society and has plenty of friends. So you'd better say yes if I ask you to be my friend on FB. : )

Here are some pics of Kara's tiny ponytail. I love her facial expressions. When I took her with me to get allergy shots, my allergist totally mocked it in her usual sarcastic way. I just ignore her, though, because she can't seem to help her sarcasm. And I can appreciate a caustic sense of humor.

Looking for Friends,

Amy



12 comments:

ellen said...

I'm not a fan of FB. You friend people and then what?! My profile photo is me on my 5th birthday (with a sad face because the cupcake candles kept blowing out). And I've yet to write anything for "What's on your mind?" Oh well. I'm on there, accumulating friends at a decent clip, but I'm not addicted. :)

Mandy said...

I'm proud to be your FB friend.

Michael Family said...

Kara is cute. And I won't be your FB friend, because I refuse to join. Maybe eventually I will. Then I will be your friend.

Anonymous said...

I will totally be your Facebook friend! I think it's a fun site--a good way to network and catch up again with friends from high school and even college! For example, there is a group on FB for the 196th Ward for the years we were in it. Talk about reconnecting with old friends! I found John Gray again, as well as several other people we went to college with. I'm a fan. Not a diehard, FB is the best thing ever invented kind of fan, but a fan nonetheless. It's not the most user-friendly application in the world, but it works. And like anything, you get out of it what you put into it. And by the way, the pictures of Kara are adorable! I love her ponytail! :)

Steph said...

I'll be your friend on facebook. I have to say it's been a bit fun to catch up with old friends, but it can be a major black hole for my time, so I generally limit myself to a few short sessions a week. And anyone who doesn't want to be friends with you is categorically insane.

Amy D said...

All I've seen coming through my email are messages of "_____ accepted your suggestion of having Amy as your friend" so I know you've gotten plenty so far! I agree that you can't spend too much time on it because it really can be a black hole. There are many more things you can spend your time on that will be more rewarding :)

jonutz gang said...

She looks so adorable with a ponytail. I can't believe how big she is getting. So facebook is crazy. People contact you and you have no idea who they are. But it's a good way to keep in contact with the people you do know:). Hope all is well, thank you for the encouraging comments. I really appreciate the pick me ups. Thank you.

Angie said...

You are too funny and worry way too much. FB isn't that bad. Most people accept your friend request, but they just may not spend that much time on your site. I accept mostly everyone, but I don't necessarily facebook stalk them. It is fun to catch up with old friends though. I Have found quite a few old friends and am back in touch with them. It's been great for that. All of my siblings are on too and we have a lot of fun with it, but I definitely don't spend a lot of time on there. I have it on my cell phone too, so I can keep tabs that way and it helps not to spend too much time later on it. Sounds contradictory doesn't it? Kara looks adorable btw. I still can't believe how big she is getting.

mama bear said...

I was happy when I saw your invitation to be friends! I like it because it's fun to see who finds you, but I don't do too much with it. I tried to upload some pictures the other day and couldn't figure it out (it was pretty late at night), but I have decided to do a little more with posting pictures and maybe writing on people's walls. That's all I want to do though, I hate all the other things like the flower garden and quiz invitations. Just so you know, I usually ignore those!

Melissa said...

I've been holding out on joining Facebook. I have my blog instead, and I figure the people who I am truly friends with read my blog and that is enough. I do miss keeping up with my siblings (who are younger and totally into it)and finding more distant friends but since I'd have to have an account to see anyone's profile I'm still saying no to Facebook.

Britney said...

I like the last picture of Kara, it just has attitude!

Anonymous said...

I'm sad I'm not your FB friend yet. I've tried to find you and I can't. You must be hiding from me. :( I can get you connected with a ton of people from our days at Ricks and BYU, if you're interested. :)