Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What I have to say today

Some child is clearing his or her throat while sleeping. It's funny. I love to sneak in and watch my kids sleep. I try to lean down for a kiss and a snuggle, and usually I get away with it. I am most careful around Kara, because she is least likely to go right back to sleep. Now said child is talking, I think. I should go put my ear to the door and listen. I forgot to be the tooth fairy two nights in a row last week and had to break the news to Jillian. She was a little sad that a small fairy does not come and take her tooth away and replace it with money. That is a nice fanciful idea. I kept one of her baby teeth. It's in my jewelry box.

Hayden hurt his finger in an unfortunate door slamming incident. The stitches have yet to be removed. During the first few days, when he had a large dressing on, I did lots of things for him, like wash his hands, make his bed, help him dress, and brush his teeth. It was his middle finger on his right hand. He said I was a good maid. I laughed! Secretly, though, I've loved taking care of him again. It gives me time to listen to what he's thinking about. Which, lately, is Garfield the cat. Both Jillian and Hayden have been checking out Garfield books at the library. So as I ease a shirt over Hayden's hand, he informs me that Garfield would be a good cat to have, and then tells me about his antics. I nod and listen and fall in love with my boy. I still marvel that I have a boy. Is it always that way for mothers?

Kyle says Kara is at the cutest stage. He wants to show her off to all of his family, most of whom haven't met her yet. She's talking up a storm, saying things like "What the heck?" "What happened?" "Where going, Mommy?" And singing childhood favorites like "Twinkle Winkle" and "ABC". And when she combines her words with signs, she's pretty irresistible, as in "more jellybean, please." She looks a lot like her Dad, and they are really close. I hope they keep that relationship. Things with Kyle and Jillian can be a bit rocky at times.

I feel satisfied tonight. I didn't get everything done I wanted to, but I got enough done. And life is good.

Amy

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That's sweet about Hayden. I hope I have a boy, and then I hope he's as handsome as Hayden.

Ronna said...

Hey Amy
Loved the post. I am sitting here wondering how I got so lucky now too! You are a great mother and just through reading your blogs I can tell your kids are going to appreciate you so much when they are grown up. Take care and keep posting. Nice uplifting post.
Ronna

Angie said...

Aw, how fun that you get to take care of your little boy again.

Michael Family said...

stitches! Poor little guy! your kids are so fun. We miss them.

Cheri said...

OH! I loved reading your thoughts. You just can't get any closer to heaven, than when you feel those strong wonderful feelings for someone you have done so much for.

Jake and Andrew are into Heathcliff right now. It's funny how they can find that kind of stuff so interesting.

Have a great day!

-and I LOVE Kara's phrases. Hilarious!

Stapletons said...

Love your blog! Your so good at expressing your thoughts.
Love,
KT

Paradise said...

I really enjoyed talking to you a couple days ago. I love hearing about your family! I can't wait to run with you in two months!