Yeah, I realize I still have a Christmas background on my blog. I'm a bit behind. No resolutions made, no burst of energy, and the Christmas tree still stands in the living room (sans ornaments but avec lights). It's looking good, so we're leaving it up a few more days. Or that's the excuse Kyle gives me. He says it might last until the end of the month. Anyway, I'm almost done cleaning up after company, and I've almost recovered. Hostessing makes one tired, I've discovered. Even if said hostess gig doesn't seem too strenuous, due to good guests. Anyhoo, here's a bit of what's been going on.
1. Should I be worried that I had a dream I was pregnant with twins on Friday night and then SAW at least three sets of twins the following day? I think I also had an episode of phantom morning sickness brought on by sugar withdrawal symptoms. Frightening!
2. Speaking of sugar withdrawal symptoms, I made it through three days of no treats. My internal fudge alarm is still going off, but getting fainter every day. For my snack tonight, I had a delightful little all-natural fruit leather, some all-natural popcorn, and some mostly-natural lemon-flavored water. Mmm. I feel satisfied. Here's hoping I can last more than a week!
3. I need a new scale. I used to weigh the same at least 20 days of the month -- 128.5. Then one day I weighed 132. Not one to panic about my weight (ha ha), I weighed myself again. 136. Again. 3.5. Hmm, peculiar. Now when I get on the scale I weigh anywhere from 3.5 pounds (the weight of my left forearm), to 140 pounds. This is not acceptable! Especially since my nine-months pregnant sister weighs about 140 pounds.
4. Which brings me to the one resolution I'm willing to make: GETTING OVER my body image issues. I am soliciting ideas on how to do so. Maybe I need to get Dr. Phil or Oprah involved. Definitely not Rachel Ray or Rosie O'Donnell. Not really Dr. Phil either. Just Oprah. Or Stacy and Clinton from What No To Wear. I'm sure $5,000 of new clothes would help me feel better about myself.
5. Kyle starts teaching tomorrow. It's time for me to step up to the plate and do the single mom thing for a bit. He's got three conferences in January and February too, so he'll be busy. I think he'll do a great job teaching, though, and I'm glad he has a job he likes!
6. The cal-king bed that was stuck in the Seattle snowstorm was successfully set up in our spacious bedroom. It is scrumptious. I have yet to come across Kyle's lanky limbs while sleeping. I do think it needs one thing, though, a nice fluffy pillowtop. We'll see if I can talk Mr. Extra Firm into it.
7. Last one, I promise. I apparently hit the sit-ups a bit hard on my first workout of the new year. My abs have not been this sore in a long time. I think I can try to do some again tomorrow. Here's to a strong core!
Christmas pics to come! Happy New Year!
Amy
9 comments:
our tree is still up too, ornaments and all. I'm slow to pack away the decor this year.
Your twins dream made me laugh...sometimes I think we're given challenges to show how not in control we are. You could totally take on the twin challenge though. If you can go sugar free, you can handle twins:)
Amy - I tackled the body image thing hard about 6 months ago. Ever since I got married, Mike has been whittling away at my negative image - telling me to just be confidant in who I am, but I finally decided to DO something about it. I took a nice long time to be still and think about the gift my body is. I am healthy, I can't think of one serious flaw that gives me grief....I am beautiful! And to back that up, anyone who means anything inmy life thinks I am, too! My beauty goes much farther than what my nose looks like, or how long my thighs jiggle after I stop moving. my beauty is mostly IN me. It radiates out. If you are happy with who you are, THAT is what people see. But seriously, I have now moved past the mode of even wondering how I appear to others.
Action steps I took:
1)I don't own a scale. I let the tightness of my clothes determine whether I need to lay off the sweets or second helpings a bit.
2)I no longer engage in talk with other women about weight woes. It is incredibly hard, because so many comments are made all the time...but if someone complains about themselves I either move the conversation elsewhere, or tell them "it doesn't matter. You're beautiful." And if anyone ever compliments me, I just thank them. No caveats. No self deprecating humor. just a thank you. I've also made a pact with all my sisters to not discuss weight - even dealing with pregnancy. It is so freeing!!!
So now I've written a short essay, but I feel so strongly about this subject. I will do anything in my power to never complain about my body in front of my children. Heaven forbid they get some idea that happiness lies in a "perfect" body from me. They'll be bombarded with it elsewhere, but hopefully understand that we are who we are. Let's take care of the gift we've been given by treating our bodies right, and then be proud of them and HAVE FUN!!!
Great job on being sore from working out! I have yet to experience that discomfort. Sigh. You inspire me. Jonas and I are going dessert-free for three weeks!
Yeah for being sore from working out. I have yet to experience that discomfort. Sigh. You inspire me. Jonas and I are going dessert-free for three weeks! And we need to get our stocking pattern and fabric soon, eh?
I agree with Cheri that not having a scale is a really good thing. Gauge what you need by what you feel and how your clothes feel on you, rather than by some number.
Hey, I appreciate your short essay, Cheri. Maybe I'll put off replacing my scale, or at least use it less often. I'm excited to go through this process.
Amy, I've been thinking about you (for a funny reason...) and wanted to ask you about your ability to get your kids to eat VEGIES! We can hardly get Megan to eat FOOD, let alone vegies. Ahhh.... A subject for email perhaps, rather than your blog.
Now, a quick comment about this post. Weight is a tricky subject, since we are all motivated by different things. But, if it means anything, your current and past weights are all healthy & I'm amazed that you have 3 kids and look so wonderful. I have definitely struggled over the years (particularly after having Megan). I personally like having a scale, but I don't weigh myself every day (or even every week). I also like talking about weight & body image with people because it helps me sort out my own feelings and gives me ideas how to be happier in the place I'm in. I used to give my sister the pants I'd out-grown for her to wear when she was pregnant! It's all relative --- no worries. You're amazing. :)
I think you'd be a great mother of twins! Isn't it nice how I wish twins on other people? Don't worry about your weight. I always think you look fabulous, and it's not your outside I'm talking about (though that really does look fabulous!). Seriously, do you ever think about how big someone is when you think about them. No! You think, "I really like them," not, "They really need to lose 10 pounds."
You've got to get over your body image woes, because you are one hot mama! We got your Christmas picture and commented on how both you and Kyle still look 100% amazing.
Post a Comment