Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm almost 32 . . .

So I'm trying to start looking the part. I'm slowly (emphasis on SLOWLY) trying to revamp my wardrobe with pieces I really really really like and will wear a lot. And that cost more that $6 and didn't all come from a clearance rack at Target. Not that that's a bad thing, because I am a big fan of Target. But not for my whole wardrobe. Right now I look at my closet and sigh. Very few things I want to wear. But I'm working on it -- both liking the body that must wear the clothes and the clothes themselves. After 4 years of a Columbia ski jacket as my main winter wear (very useful in Michigan), I bought a cute wool tweed coat after Christmas. It's just a tad big, so if I ever get around to it, I may have it altered. You can't tell from the picture, but it has small flecks of green and orange in it (my faves!) that match the darling hat and scarf my friend Kelli crocheted for my birthday last year. I am so lucky!



I also got a cool, special bracelet for Christmas from Kyle (well, he agreed to it, but I did all the selecting, ordering, etc.). I'm so happy to have an original Angela Henrie piece. I love the idea of jewelry that represents motherhood, but I'm not so keen on most of the pieces out there. So I came up with this one. I am so so sorry that the pictures do not do it justice. If possible, our camera seems to be getting worse every time we use it. Let's hope the tax refund can buy us a new one! Angela is a silversmith and made the links with the kids' names on them by hand. I love it and wear it almost every day.





After 8 days of no dessert I am doing pretty well. It has been hard, though, and I did sneak the smallest corner of the cookie bars I made the other day. But today, when Jillian was eating fudgey moose tracks ice cream right in front of me, I just grabbed a sugar-free pudding (I don't have one every day, though) and ignored her. I'm trying to avoid substitutes like diet soda and sugar-free ice cream, etc. So far pretty good. We'll see how long it lasts! I am definitely not craving fudge anymore. I also didn't want a bit of the disgusting Sara Lee cherry pie that Kyle bought and baked tonight. Ew.

Kyle started teaching this week and survived. Now he has to navigate several emails a day from students. Most of them read something like this:

Dear Mr. ________,

I went online to take quiz #1, but somehow I submitted it to you without any of the answers. Can you open the quiz for me again so I can do it over? I promise not to make a mistake again.

Dear Mr. ________,

I'm sorry I didn't come to class at all this week or take the quiz. Can you give me a free pass for this one? I will come next week.

Good luck, Kyle! Hope the quarter goes by quickly. And you should totally make them call you Dr. You earned it!

Happy weekend.

Amy

9 comments:

Angie said...

That is hilarious that his students sent him those e-mails. I am LOL right now. Sounds like you had a fun holiday season! Back to life again eh? Good job on holding out on the sweets, wish I was that strong.

rebecca said...

Yep, that's a gorgeous bracelet! Lucky!
Those student emails are a crack up.

Megann said...

Yay for new coats! I did the same things this winter. I only have a ski coat and since I went home to Wyoming for Christmas I needed something suitable. I ended up getting this fantastic red wool coat and a gray one with big black buttons - they are darling! The best part is that I could justify getting both of them since they're 50 percent off, so it's like I just bought one, right?!

Michael Family said...

That picture of your coat doesn't do it justice. You look skinnier and the coat looks cuter in real life.

I think those e-mails to Kyle are hilarious. I hope he doesn't give that person a free pass. What the heck? I never even knew those existed! :)

mama bear said...

I guess I'll have to "grow up" one of these days, but for now it's still the columbia coat and target clothing for me! I do love that bracelet, and plan on wearing jewelry more often when I do get that grown up wardrobe.

Kierstin said...

Are you giving up sugar completely? Is this some new diet? I'd like to know about it. I did try giving up sugar what and found myself eating lots of cold cereal and toast and jam. Love the jacket! I am thinking the same thing about my wardrobe...jeans and LONG t-shirts.

Amy D said...

Almost 32...you're so young! I love the bracelet. Tell Kyle to keep a sense of humor with those poor young college students. He'd be the most fun teacher ever!

Mandie said...

Absolutely love the bracelet and the coat!

Ken and Amy said...

You are one stylisih woman now with your new purse, coat and bracelet!