And I'm not talking snow here, fair readers. I'm talking about the small Reese's peanut butter cup Blizzard from Dairy Queen that I shared with Kara on Thursday night. I decided to go ahead and eat desserts this week, to see how it felt. Well, it felt crappy! Nothing sweet that I had satisfied me. It all tasted blah. So I decided to go for the gold and try a Blizzard, a treat I only have a few times a year. After eating about 2/3, I was done. Kara and Jillian finished off the rest. We went home and I put the kids to bed. Kyle was (and still is) out of town. At about 8:30pm I noticed my stomach was hurting quite a bit, but I thought it might be heartburn. I took some Zantac and thought "Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have eaten that Blizzard." Oh how prophetic those thoughts came to be! By 10:30pm I was in quite a bit of pain. My stomach felt all distended, and I decided to pop another Zantac and go to bed. I think I might have actually fallen asleep, but not for long! At about midnight I was woken up with severe pains all across my stomach and back. To spare you all the details of my night-long saga, let's just say I tried:
making myself throw up (I have no future as a bulimic)
pacing the floor
breathing a million different ways
massaging my back and stomach
lying in the fetal position
lying on my back
lying every which way
taking more Zantac
praying vigorously
If Kyle were home I would have sent him to the store for some OTC medicine. But he wasn't, so I was stuck. Finally, at about 2:30am, I looked up some home remedies for stomach pain on the internet. I figured my belly was full of air that was having a hard time dispelling itself. The 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 4 oz. of warm water tasted pretty bad, but actually worked. I was able to sleep for a couple of hours until I had to take some more.
It was a miserable night, to say the least! Quite painful, too. Definitely not worth the Blizzard. My sister the dietitian thinks I may have had a gallbladder attack. Because I hadn't been eating a lot of fat or sugar, my system had a hard time digesting the fat in the ice cream. Let's just say I won't be visiting my local DQ anytime soon. And now I'm kind of afraid to eat anything like that! My dessert days may be over. At least any kind of overindulgence anyway. I hope I don't lose my tolerance for dark chocolate.
I'm glad I'm alive to tell this tale. I ran 7 of my 8 miles the next morning, but my stomach complained the whole time. Luckily, I'm feeling better today. Beware of Blizzards!
Amy
8 comments:
Ick, that's no fun at all. I didn't eat any meat besides a little chicken now and then for 2 years in college. When I moved in with my gourmet cook uncle (who of course cooked meat) I started up again. I had several such experiences, and my theory was the same--I wasn't producing the enzymes needed to break down that kind of food anymore. The good news (maybe it's good?) is that once you start eating it a bit your body adjusts again.
I'm still going treat/sugar free, so I will certainly heed your warnings!
Maybe you got salmonella from the peanut butter in the Reese's cups?
Oooh amy, I had no idea it was that bad. Please call next time!
Oh Amy, I'm so sorry! That sounds miserable. I'm glad you're alive to tell the tale, but I'm sure you won't be eating a Blizzard again any time soon. Or ever. You were smart to look up that home remedy. Glad it worked (a little)!
Awfulness! So sorry. Hope you can catch up on your sleep somewhere!
I'm sorry that you couldn't enjoy the blizzard. That's not fun at all. I hope that you are over all of that mess. That's too bad.
I am so sorry! Yeah, sometimes it is not worth it. You should tyr my low fat cookies, they are just right or I love popcorn!! Congrats on your new calling, you will be perfect!
I am ashamed to say I can eat a Dairy Queen blizzard with no problem. I wasn't ashamed before, but now I am.
Post a Comment