Stranger: Ooh! What a cute baby girl! What a big head! And no hair! But she has a BOW! What a cute BOW! How on earth did you get that bow to stay on that big head of hers???
Me: (gritting my teeth and trying hard to smile) I use KY Jelly!
Stranger: You mean the personal lubricant?
Me: Why yes. You didn't know it had other uses.
Stranger: (looking embarrassed) Oh, um, hmmm. Well, she's very cute. (Walks away hurriedly.)
Did I get you? : ) Of COURSE I don't really tell them about the KY Jelly. That's my little lie. I do feel bad telling it every time, but I can't really say out loud to a complete stranger that I put KY Jelly on my baby's bow. So I say I use Karo syrup. Technically I don't even lie, because I say "You can use Karo syrup." I don't say that I use Karo syrup. Am I terrible? The lie is necessary, I believe, to avoid mortification every time I'm at Target, Kroger, or the like.
Lately we've expanded our headwear options to include these cute headbands. The felt piece is attached by Velcro, so I can switch them out as I desire. I made them at a craft night last month. So cute! I'm planning on Kara having hair some day. I'm almost sure it will happen. Then I can use my cute felt pieces on clips instead of headbands. But until then, please excuse a lie every once in a while.
12 comments:
I love this post, Yma! It's the Amy I know and love! It made me laugh. Personally, I liked the scenario you wrote, but I guess it would be a little embarrassing to mention the KY. I'd do the same thing you do in that situation--say, "You can use..." In fact, been there, done that--just not with baby bows and KY.
Luv yer guts!
You MUST tell me where you got the elastic lace - or how you made the headband! Amelia has peach fuzz as well, and I have been trying to figure out how to go about making a headband. Yours turned out so cute!
Ever since you told me the KY trick, I used it for Katie's pre-hair days, and it was great! Kara is so cute and totally Peterson. She looks a lot like her siblings. And the headband is so cute!
Cute headbands. I'll have to tell my friend about that idea. she makes baby bands herself. And Kara is beautiful!!!
What a great idea...interchangable headbands! They are super cute! You should tell people you use KY...it would give you some great reactions and laughs!
I am coming out of the closet as an Amy Blog Reader. My advice, be bold. Tell them it is the KY Jelly. See how awkward they think it is.
I'm sure you can get the elastic lace at any fabric store. My friend generously donated some extra to me. The felt part is a simple pattern of two pieces (the flower. I stitched them all together by hand, but should have sewn on the Velcro to the back flower piece before doing it so I could use the machine. But it wasn't bad by hand, either. I hit the seam of the headband under the Velcro piece that goes on the headband. Boy, if this is making any sense, you're smarter than I am! I know my friends got the idea from a website with cute other things like a monkey, kitten, etc. I'm going to do a star too. Fun!
The headband is awesome. Good job with being clever. I think Kara is absolutely adorable. I have figured out that hair is overrated. That means you actually have to do it :).
The headband turned out so cute! I actually did use Karo syrup on my little baldie, but it was a little sticky at times. Maybe I should switch for the next one?
Thanks for the directions, and RATS! I have checked every fabric store around and they don't carry the elastic lace. Oh, well. Maybe I'll just go for stretchy fabric...
Okay, I had so many typos in my directions on how to make this, I sound like I'm drunk or something. Sorry, Cheri! Let me know if you need more information. I think the stretchy lace may be sold by the yard?? I hope you were able to get some coherent directions out of my mess. What was I thinking?
Thanks for the chuckle. I think I'd do the same thing. That is, if I ever had a girl. :)
Post a Comment