Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Quest Begins


In the summer of 2004, I bought a Lands' End tankini with the then-new swim mini skirt. I was very happy with my new cute-but-modest swimsuit. It covered the areas of my body that need to be covered, but was also easy to wear and stylish enough. I wore the swimsuit for the summers of 2004, 2005, 2006, and some of 2007. I was faithful to that swim mini and tankini top, but also wishing the industrial strength material would show a little wear and tear. I began washing it more often, throwing it in the dryer on high heat, and generally disregarding all the small print on the tag. No luck. Still vibrant blue, still perky and stretchy, still wearable. Enter the waterslides at Kalahari (cue ominous music). On returning home and washing the now semi-loathed suit, I was shocked to find a large tear right in the the bottoms that connect oh-so-cleverly to the skirt. At first I was happy with my discovery, but then I realized the task that stood before me. A task that has made many a woman burst into tears of frustration, annoyance, and despair. I would have to find a new swimsuit. (Cue LOUDER ominous music.)

Never fear! I am undauntable (like that new word?). I will begin my quest with courage in my heart. I will merely google "modest swimwear" and see what I can find. Surely the great World Wide Web will help me in my quest to be modest, stylish, and look incredibly tan and toned this summer.

Let's see. Hmm . . . one of the first hits goes to this website. It advertises "a beautifully modest swimsuit." But I look at the photographs and I'm thinking this may be a bit too much coverage. I'm feeling a little more risque.

Next hit, next option . . . Oh! This one's called "WholesomeWear." Who doesn't want to look wholesome? Well, me, apparently. Although I like their idea of "swimwear that highlights the face, not the body", this particular choice is a bit too Amish. But I think Amish girls should consider it, and I'm serious about that. Good for this company to meet the needs of a particular group of people. Although I'm not sure Amish people shop online. Maybe Christian fundamentalists.

Okay, moving on. I hope I get to some, well, more revealing modest swimwear soon. Next stop Ohana. That sounds sort of South Pacific and fun. But these suits look more like wetsuits. I think this would be so unflattering on me, unless I were in a water wrestling contest.

This next option is called Splash Gear. My first instinct was to sort of laugh and think "who would ever wear that!" I think the picture makes it quite clear who would. Since moving to Michigan I've come in contact with lots of Muslim women. Their options in swimwear are quite limited. I'm happy to see a pretty floral pattern and head covering that might allow young Muslim girls and their mothers to actually enjoy swimming. When we were at the Kalahari, there was a family all playing in the water together, but the mother was sitting on the side. She must have been so hot in her long sleeves, long pants, head scarf, and other body covering. I respect the dress and modesty standards of others, so I'm glad to see this. It doesn't solve my problem, though, so I must keep clicking.

A ha! I think I've found something. Between this site and the current Lands' End selections, I may meet my goal. Of course, a suit alone can't make me tan and toned, but I can dream, right? We leave for Florida in one month, so I'd better get shopping! And in case you were wondering, I always wear sunscreen. : ) What do you think of this suit?

Or this one?


Hey, I learned something today. There are lots of people out there trying to provide modest clothing. That's a good thing. I feel better about the world. I should mention Shade Clothing too, because I think they're a good company and I like their products. Here's to modesty, but not too much modesty!

Amy

14 comments:

Leslie said...

those pictures crack me up. I too am on the hunt for a good swim suit. I left the one I just bought at a hotel in colorado.. oops.. good luck and I love both of those last swimsuits. :)

Amy D said...

I had a Lands' End tankini swimsuit until this year as well. Those things last forever! But lo and behold, I just bought two of those ModBe suits (like the last two pics you showed) this week. My mother-in-law went to a ModBe party (like a Pampered Chef or Tupperware party :) ) and offered to buy me one. I got the skirt too so I can cover up when I'm not in the pool. Glad to know we're thinking along the same lines. They should be coming this week. I'm so excited! Let me know what you choose. It's a huge decision.

Mandy said...

I've been eyeing that exact blue modbe suit myself! Let me know what you think!

MichiganMarshes said...

I bought a swim suit from Shades last year, and I love it! They have lots of cute styles that cover everything you want covered.

Michael Family said...

That Amish one is hilarious. I think you should go for it! It also reminds me of polygamist Utah.

Anyway, I actually like the last one, with the polkadots the best. It's super cute.

Amy D said...

Is that "Michigan Marshes" post from my cousin (sort of :) ) Tisha? If it is, hello Tisha!

ellen said...

Love the polka dots. 'nuf said.

Angie said...

ONe of my friends found that website with the "wonderful" swimsuits a couple of weeks ago. I was laughing so hard when I went and looked at them. I think someone should buy one and wear it around just for the giggles and stares they'll get!

Unknown said...

Wow, lots of comments on this blog, eh? I like the last one much better than the other. The ruffly swimsuit seems like it's trying too hard. I like that Shade clothing place, though. Thanks for the tip! You should let all these companies that you post positively on your blog know, and maybe they'll give you free stuff!

Polliwog said...

Very funny post. One of your best yet. :) As for the suits, I quite like them both but think the second may be harder for a bustier gal (such as myself at the moment) to pull off. In that respect, I'd go for the blue. And I like the femininity of the ruffle, personally.

Did you come across any cute maternity suits in your searching? Probably not. Ho hum.

mama bear said...

Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard right now! Those suits are hilarious, I'm surprised anyone would want to wear them! I really like the blue one at the end, I think you would look smashing in it!

Megs said...

I love shade clothing and modbe. If I had not ordered a new suit last year I would have gotten one from shade this year. They are so cute. OF the two you posted I love the blue one. Let us know your decision and hopefully you'll tell us with a picture of you in the suit. Think it over.

Melissa said...

I like Shade swimsuits, although I've actually never owned one! I think I'm going to buy one for this summer. Good luck... I hate swimsuit shopping!

Steph said...

Amydear-
That was a laugh out loud post. Thanks for the humor at the end of a very long day.