Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Who would want to live with someone who acted like that all the time?

That's what Kyle's Dad said to me once, referring to Kyle. I raised my hand gleefully and said "Me!" We were engaged at the time and all was bliss. 10 years of mostly ups (and a few downs) later, I get what Kyle's Dad meant. Last night I asked my dear husband what he wanted to eat for Christmas dinner. I discussed the options of turkey, ham, and pork tenderloin. We also brought up crab, since it's Dungeness crab season here. Actually, this discussion was very one-sided. Until Kyle replied. "How about turducken." What, you ask, is turducken? Why it's the very simple dish of a chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey. Here's a recipe from Paula Deen herself. I'm sure it would be very simple for me to de-bone a chicken and a duck, stuff them successfully in each other and then in a turkey, cook it all just right, and then serve it. Actually, it sounds kind of gross. I guess in the middle ages they'd do this sort of thing with 10 or so different birds. Count on Kyle to suggest it. Did he offer his real opinion? NO! I guess I get to decide then. But at least I know life with Kyle is never boring.

More ornaments for your perusal:

One is made from an actual eggshell. I made it myself in 6th grade. I am totally amazed that it has survived this long. It has moved across the country and back with nary a crack. I had one more, but it perished long ago.

The next is the ornament from the year I was born. I love it. The baby on the ornament looks similar to how I looked as a baby. I hope I have this one until I'm 90. Actually, I kind of hope I die before I'm 90.

And finally, the ugliest ornament on my tree. The Pea picked in out in Disney World for his ornament for the year. I'm sure his father helped him. I am NOT looking forward to seeing Mickey Mouse pirate ears on my tree for the next 13 years until Hayden moves out. To solve this problem, we are going to put a little tree in the family room next year with all the kids' ornaments on them. Since they get one a year (and sometimes two), our collection is growing. I'm excited for them to each have a box of special ornaments to take with them when they move out. We can do things like macaroni garlands, etc. on that tree, and then I can have a grown-up tree downstairs. Perfect!

The kids finally went to school today, but had early release. Since it's supposed to snow tonight, I doubt they'll go the rest of the week. We just made their teacher goodies today though, so I HOPE they go one more day. Do you think you can freeze chocolate-dipped pretzels?





Christmas cards are out, goodies are mostly delivered, I'm almost finished shopping, I started cleaning for company, and I can feel that Christmas is almost, almost here. Just one more week! I can't wait to relax.

Amy

12 comments:

Christina said...

Several years ago we had a turducken for Thanksgiving dinner at my brother's in Manhattan. He bought it from cajungrocer.com. It was good, but there was too much stuffing for my taste in between layers of the different meats. It did make insanely delicious gravy. I can't imagine making one. You definitely deserve a spa day for that!
I'm so glad you shared the egg ornament. My mom made us these, but for an easter tree. Your snowman turned out so cute! I'd love to do this with my kids... maybe in a few years when I've got enough older kids who are more careful. It really is amazing that yours has survived all of these years.

rebecca said...

FYI, that last comment was from me. Someday I'll remember to check and make sure my eldest is logged out before I leave comments;)

Cheri said...

i love your egg ornament! And bravo for getting Christmas ready in a timely manner. That is not happening here. I always seem to run out of money and ideas before I have all the presents....hmmmm....must start getting creative.

Michael Family said...

Wayne's suggestion for dinner was Baturducken. What is that, you might wonder? It is turducken, wrapped in bacon. How many meats can you eat? It DOES sound gross!

Mandy said...

Hey, your baby ornament is EXACTLY LIKE MINE! 77 was a good year, Amy.

Ken and Amy said...

Just wait until your tree falls over and your favorite ornaments from your own childhood break....yep, you guess it....that's what happened to me. Super glue works wonders but it's never the same.

Maybe if you're lucky, the Mickey Mouse pirate ears will break!

Mandie said...

I like that tradition of getting an ornament every year. I might have to steal that one. My mom said she was going to have a kid's tree and a kid tree, but somehow she ended up having 2 trees. I think I like you idea better.

Britney said...

Hello Amy! I just looked at my blog and read your comment and I would love to come over and make earings!! Although you asked for today and it is kinda over but I guess we have all of break too! I know that you have mega family coming in but after Christmas is over lets hang out!

Unknown said...

Hey, I'd want to spend the rest of my life with someone like that, but mostly because I don't have a choice.

Also, there is nothing more Christmas than Mickey Mouse and Pirates. There are plenty of ugly ornaments on our tree and that doesn't make the top of the list.

Finally, look how many people think (ba)turducken is a good idea.

Polliwog said...

Christmas done? I am oh-so jealous. D finally had the day off yesterday so we knocked out most of our shopping. I still have to get him presents, though, and that is always the hardest part.

Christmas cards are all ready but not assembled or labeled. I am hoping those get done tomorrow too.

Turducken sounds icky. Crab? Not very Christmasy, but I kind of like that. You could have a tradition that is different from the world's. I'm sure whatever it is will be fabulous.

Amy D said...

Wow, Kyle sounds pretty exotic. Is he into "A Christmas Story" like Clint is? If so, ask him if he'd like to sing a little "Fa ra ra ra ra" with his duck-like dinner. :)

Angie said...

That is such a cute tradition with the ornaments! That recipe sounds absolutely atrocious! Who eats that stuff, honestly. That is funny though that he wouldn't give you a real answer, that is so the story of my life. So, do we get a Christmas card?? I was lazy and didn't do any this year. Oh well.