Monday, December 1, 2008

Tis the Season!

This is my last official National Blog Posting Month post. As you recall, (and I'm sure you don't) I missed November 1st, so I'm doing December 1st instead. I feel like Martha Stewart lately, although much nicer and more animated. I'm getting lots of fun projects done. One involves an advent calendar for the kids to do. I've been looking for one for a few years, but haven't come across the perfect thing. So I settled on this one from Target. I like that it has the Nativity scene on top and isn't too big. BTW, it's $19 on the website right now with free shipping. I paid $25 for it in the store. They have a few other designs too.

Because I wanted it to be more than a chocolate-a-day until Christmas experience, I typed up several activities and ideas that tie in with the family traditions we usually do. I also wanted to focus on the real meaning of Christmas and the Savior. Here's what's behind each little door:

December 1st – I hope you like opening a new door on your calendar every day. I love you so much and want you to feel the real spirit of Christmas. It’s a spirit of love, friendship, hope, and joy. Let’s talk about why we celebrate Christmas. And you may have a sweet treat because you’re neat!

December 2nd – Ask Mom to find the Christmas books and read you some. See if there are ones you remember. Hayden, which ones can you read to yourself? Jillian, can you read some to Kara?

December 3rd – Color a picture to send to Grandma Catie. Maybe you could draw a snowman or a Christmas tree!

December 4th – How was your first art class today? I hope you had fun! Here’s a chocolate. Dad will be gone tonight, so let’s watch a movie together. Maybe a Christmas movie!

December 5th – Ask Mom for a special Christmas craft to do. It’s the ward party tonight. Do you think Santa will be there? Only 20 more days until Christmas!

December 6th – Did we get our tree today and get it all decorated? YEAH! When you’re all ready for bed, turn out all the lights except the tree lights and enjoy the beautiful tree. You may want to lay down for this.

December 7th – It’s Sunday today. Of course you need a chocolate! And we need to sing some Christmas carols. Let’s also read from the new Friend magazine. I’ll bet there are some great Christmas stories in there.

December 8th – For family night tonight we are going to get gifts for the kids we “adopted” for Christmas. I want you to try and feel that special feeling you get when you serve others. Enjoy picking out some great toys!

December 9th – How’s the tree looking? Does it need some water? How are you doing? Do you need some chocolate? Let’s make some snowflakes to hang on the window.

December 10th – Wow! We’re down to 15 days already! That will fly by. Let’s start making some goodies for our friends and neighbors today. Should we make some fudge?

December 11th – Dad is leaving for a short trip today. Make sure to give him hugs and kisses. Let’s have hot cocoa together tonight and turn on the fireplace. It will be cozy!

December 12th – As a special treat, Mom is going to take you out to dinner tonight! You two decide a place you’d like to go. Afterwards, let’s come home and play some games together. Here’s a chocolate!

December 13th – Dad’s home! Have you finished all of your Christmas shopping? Do something secret and special for someone in the family today.

December 14th – Tonight for family scripture study, we should read about Samuel the Lamanite proclaiming the birth of Christ. They we can read about what happened in the Americas when Christ was born. How much of those two scripture stories do you remember?

December 15th – Wow! Can you believe it’s only 10 more days until Christmas? For family night tonight, let’s deliver our goodies to neighbors and friends. We could sing some carols too.

December 16th – Let’s make some gingerbread cookies today and decorate them. That sounds like lots of fun!

December 17th – Using Jillian’s nativity set, or by making up a play, act out the story of the nativity. I’m sure Dad will be the donkey! And here’s a chocolate because I love you.

December 18th – Has it snowed yet? Let’s read some more Christmas books to each other. Have Mom and Dad each tell you a story from when they were little and it was Christmastime.

December 19th – What can we do to help someone in need today? Let’s think of something to do!

December 20th – Are all of your presents for other people wrapped? Let’s watch a video about the birth of Christ today. And then we can watch “Mr. Krueger’s Christmas.” That’s always a good one!

December 21st -- Today we need to make sure all of the presents are wrapped and ready. And we need to eat a chocolate.

December 22nd – Today we need to clean the house. Let’s put on some Christmas carols and help each other do our jobs.

December 23rd – Grandma and Grandpa and Uncle Joel are coming today! Make them a welcome sign.

December 24th – Oooh, finally Christmas Eve! What present are you going to open tonight? Here’s your last chocolate. But don’t worry, there are lots of treats to come tomorrow.

December 25th – Merry Christmas! I hope we have a wonderful day with our family. I love you!

What's good about this is that it's going to help me remember to do some of the things the kids love. It also gives me a "schedule" of events for the month. I even remembered a couple of things I should add in: going to our church's creche exhibit and driving around to view neighborhoods with good Christmas lights/decorations. I'm excited to get going!


Signing off for a few days,


Amy

6 comments:

rebecca said...

Thanks for sharing this advent calendar idea. Great ideas!

ellen said...

Wow! What a great advent calendar. Your kids are going to love it!

mama bear said...

What a great idea! We have an awesome advent calendar that my MIL made a few years ago, but I'm always struggling with what to put inside.

Cheri said...

awesome, awesome, AWESOME!!!

Mary Poppins said...

"I feel like Martha Stewart lately, although much nicer and more animated." Hilarious! great advent, by the way.

jan said...

So cute. Sounds like you guys will be having so much fun all month. Can't wait for that fundge:) if only we lived closer.