Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Confessions of a frazzled mother

(If I HAD posted last night, it would have been about how Vicky looked a bit too much like The Joker from Batman with her red hair, white makeup, and shocking red lips. That was a bad makeover! And I want a dress with cute pockets. But I didn't post.)

Today Kara is needy. Not play with me needy. Not read with me needy. Just hold me needy. But she weighs about 28 pounds, so I can't really lug her around on my hip all day. So I was a bad mom. I stuck her in her high chair with a tootsie pop (full size cherry-flavored). She loved it. She sat there for a good 30 minutes. I blow-dried my hair, did my makeup, helped Jillian with homework, and unloaded the dishwasher. I'm sure there were a few more things in there too. It was lovely. Giving my 15-month old a sucker rates pretty high on my "Mommy Don'ts" list, but I don't really care. I needed that 30 minutes. And I brush her teeth every day.

We were at Costco today buying everything from wrapping paper to ravioli. The total? Over $300! A lot of that was a present for my parents from the sibs, though, but still, made me gasp. J and H both wanted hot dogs. What the heck! Have some saturated fat, sodium, and beef by-product. I'm going to Kyle's work party sans veggies, so what do I care? (My verb tenses are getting all convoluted here. Please ignore any grammatical errors.) H managed to drop his on the floor right after I put the ketchup on it. About 2/3 of it hit the floor. The rest stayed on the foil. What did I do? Wrapped it right back up (after adding fresh ketchup) and handed it back to him. It was on the floor for a total of 5 seconds, so I figured it wasn't too dirty (Didn't you read that study? You should!). I'm sure the people sitting right there gave me a look, but I couldn't stand to go back into that line again. He might die, but I doubt it. If he does, I'll let you know. So, what I'm wondering is, would anyone else out there do that? Am I a terrible mother? Seriously, let me know.

In other news of the day, Kyle got two papers accepted at an accounting conference. I'm very proud of him.

Amy

12 comments:

jan said...

I totally agree about the makeover. Did you notice that she got the least amount of camera time or maybe I just fast forward through it.

Cheri said...

Hilarious. I can sense your mood so well and i am right there with you today.

Michael Family said...

Well, instead of a tootsie pop, I use TV. Which is worse? We may never know. Hopefully my kids will grow up ok. Everything in moderation, right? PS: Kara and Katie weigh the same!

Amy D said...

Whew, sounds like you had quite a day. I'm right there with you! I think you're the best Mom around and that your kids are so lucky to have you. And I'm impressed you can hold off until 15 months to give them a lollipop!

Ken and Amy said...

Oh man....I'm totally laughing about your Costco experience because I had a bad experience at Costco today too (except my total was not $300). If it makes you feel any better, T dropped his binkie 5 times and every time I'd pick it right up and plop it back into his mouth. It was the only way to keep the kid quiet, otherwise he was screaming. We are trying to scale back on the binkie use, but today it was a necessity.

rebecca said...

I hear you on your day. I've resorted to lolipops on occasion just knowing a bath for the tot will follow.

Congrats to Kyle!

Megs said...

I would have done the same thing. Blake drops crackers on the floor all the time at the store and if other people see I act all disgusted and say "oh this is garbage now" but if we are alone I totally give it back to him. I wish I could be a strong as you and do it in front of others. I will think of you next time and not care what people think. Thanks for the sucker tip. I might have to give that a try.

mama bear said...

I don't know who this "Vicky" person is, but I fully agree with you about everything else! I've even been know to give Madi back her binky after it falls on the ground (without washing first) and Mollie a fruit snack off the floor at Target. uh, the fruit snack was one that had just fallen out of her hand!

Maren Hansen said...

Yep, defintiely woulda picked up the hotdog. Maybe I woulda blotted it with a paper towel, but that's it... :) My mother in law sent me a link a year ago about a study proving that the 5-second rule is real, for most bugs... :)

amydear said...

mamabear -- Vicky is the "villain" on Biggest Loser. She got a terrible makeover! Scary! And I am sooo glad you didn't give Mollie a RANDOM fruit snack you found on the floor at Target. Whew!

others -- thanks for making me feel better! H is alive and well today, so I think we're out of the woods.

Britney said...

Amy you are soooo funny. I smiled reading your blog today. I think that you are a great mom, espically after I read your last blog about your event calander and all of your great ideas. Wow, you inspire me to be better!!

Mandie said...

In my eyes, you are a normal mom, but I don't know if I am part of that crowd either. I have done both of those things. I always have a sucker in my purse for any type of emergency when we are out. I will have to say that I am quite amazed that you got all that done in 30 minutes! I have come to the conclusion that you have at least 5 times the energy that I do. You are a wonderful mom!