And not just ANY stockings, but homemade by my mother in the '80s stockings, the stockings of my childhood. I begged Mom to borrow them for this year, and she willingly obliged. Thanks much, Mumsy. I made 5 stockings once upon a time. I sewed them myself out of red corduroy and fleece on Kyle's Mom's sewing machine that only went in reverse. How handy. As you can imagine, they weren't the most well-constructed of stockings. And then candle wax ended up all over one of them, so we were down to four. Which wasn't a problem until Asparagus came along. Last year I got her a cheap-o "Baby's First Christmas" stocking which had a pitiful one or two things stuffed in it. Bean and Pea felt sorry for her. She didn't know to feel sorry for herself. I intended to make all new stockings (7, just for good measure) in time for this Christmas, but, alas, I was uninspired. Which is why I gaze daily at my Mother's stockings and hope for inspiration for the stockings which will hang by our chimney/gas fireplace for years to come. The stockings which will one day be vintage.
Why all the fuss, you wonder? Because in my house growing up, the stockings were quite possibly the BEST part of Christmas morning. They could be opened at will any time after, say, 4am. They could be indulged in long before parents woke up, long before the sun came up, and long before it was time for present opening. It was not uncommon for me to get up at 3am, carefully peruse the contents of my stocking, and go back to bed for a few hours. Stocking stuffing must be taken seriously. I wrapped several this evening. I think I am giving away at least 70 stocking stuffers to various family members this year. I have high hopes that St. Nicholas soon will be here.
In other news, I made a necktie. Yes, you read that correctly. And I am oh-so-proud of my handiwork. You can see it all askew on Hayden's skinny little neck. It wasn't that hard, either, thanks to my friend Sharen, who's a great seamstress.
And the last picture is of me, looking tired but getting excited to be the hostess with the mostest. My fam starts arriving on Tuesday. I wish you all the very merriest of Christmases! May you recognize the miracles in your lives and feel the love of friends and family.
Amy
5 comments:
Cute tie! I'm impressed. Have fun with your family. Merry Christmas!
i love those stockings! I am a sucker for anything that looks like it came from my childhood. I actually was checking them out closely and wondering if I could make them - the only issue being the out of print fabrics now.... may you have WONDERFUL times with all your company. merry Christmas!
I hadn't thought of making a necktie, but I think I will if I have time. You did a great job with Hayden's!
Really like the tie! I have been wanting to make stockings for ever now too, but since I am not talented in the sewing department, I am a little intimidated. Let me know when you make yours and maybe I can get a little more motivated!
I think the stockings already ARE vintage! see you soon!
Post a Comment