Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Design on a Dime

My WHOLE family is coming for or after Christmas. I'm so excited! Because none of them have seen our new house yet, I've been trying to get some decorating stuff done. The first project is decorating Jillian's room to also be a guest room. That means no HSM III stuff plastered all over. The other project is organizing the toys in the family room and putting up something on the big, blank walls. Because we've been spending money like the federal government bailing out Wall Street lately, I'm trying to decorate for less. Here are the results:



My fabric wall hangings for the family room. I want to add some candid black and white family and friend photos someday. Maybe when my sister arrives with her fancy schmancy camera.



I'm also making some pillows from this same fabric (found at IKEA for a mere $6.99/yd). The canvases I purchased at Michael's craft store. I used a staple gun to apply the fabric. The cost for all 4 canvases and fabric was about $40.



The new bookcases to hold the toys. Yeah! Getting these up meant getting some more moving boxes out of the house. I don't think there are any left.



My lovely assistant.



I turned Jillian's old white laminate bookcase into a vanity. We found the mirror for $30 at TJ Maxx/Home Goods. I bought the fabric and used velcro (one half sew-on, one half stick-on) to put up the curtains. Her books and trinkets hide behind the curtains. We got the little stool at Ikea. I'm also making her a pillow for her bed with the same fabric. Not my favorite fabric, but she got to choose it!



This painting (by Jillian) is the inspiration for her room. Her bedding is a nice light blue with some subtle embroidered circles/flowers on it. We're getting some vinyl lettering for above her bed. I'm looking for curtains right now. I'm also going to paint a cork board that we already have to match her mirror -- an antiqued cream. We will frame more artwork as it comes home from school.

I have a lot of fun decorating! Now we have to save up some money so we can get Hayden's furniture and then we get to do the master bedroom. Can't wait!

Amy

PS -- It seems like the photo upload thing for blogger is really old. I never got the HTML before. Some of my options for fonts and colors don't appear anymore. Anyone else having that issue? I just hope I got my photo comments below the right photo!

4 comments:

Christina said...

I absolutely love Jillian's painting! I'd decorate around that too! Love your ideas...I've seen the fabric/canvas trick before and I think it's genius.

Unknown said...

Lookin' good. I truly don't mean to insult, but the canvas pieces vaguely remind me of that awful orange/brown/yellow rainbow canvas that used to hang in the family room in our old house in Spokane, merely because it's canvas and not because the fabrics are ugly.

Melissa said...

It all looks great!

I too love Jillian's painting.

Michael Family said...

You little designer, you! How fun. I really love Jillian's painting. It is awesome!