Sunday, December 7, 2008

Arbor Day in December

We had a lovely tree-filled day yesterday. After Kyle and I battled insomnia the night before, we slept in, skipped our exercise, and got ready just in time for Kyle and Bean and Pea to go plant trees at the park across the street. A group of neighbors put in two maples that should grow and give shade in a few years. The kids thought this was a delightful activity as it involved marching in fresh dirt, something that is usually off limits.

After a quick lunch we headed off to a local Christmas tree farm (Did you know that Oregon is a major producer of Christmas trees, and that many go to Mexico??)to find our first live tree. We've been making due with a sorry fake 4 ft fat tree for the last several years. Can you tell how I feel about that tree? The weather was gorgeous as we set off on our well-orchestrated adventure. We rode the wagon to the noble fir part of the farm (that's a variety of tree) and proceeded to find and saw down the one we liked. I have no idea if this is an environmentally acceptable thing to do. But we did support a local farm, so I think we get some credit.

Getting the tree off the car and into the house, and then decorated, took up the rest of the day. The kids loved it, though, and the tree is lovely. In the stand it seems to be about 8-9 feet tall. I'm going with a new color scheme this year, red, green, and black. I love it. It will be fun to find some new ornaments after Christmas to add in next year. I'm going to scope out Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn for some glass ones in unique shapes. As a feature on my blog for the next week or two, I'll be telling the stories behind some of our ornaments. Example: The Ugliest Ornament, My Favorite Ornament, etc.

Hmm, I've tried to upload the photos three times and all I get is HTML gibberish. Soo, you may have to wait for those. Bummer.

In closing, I have one observation. I haven't received one Christmas card yet. Does that mean everyone else is as behind as I am? I hope so!

Amy

6 comments:

rebecca said...

I sigh reading about your tree outing. Those were the days:) About the ornaments....I'm crazy about the mercury glass ones. I don't know if PB has them, but Restoration Hardware does. I'm hoping they send some to the outlet after Christmas.
We'll send our cards out this week...we haven't received many either. I'll be sad if it's b/c of the economy.
Merry Christmas!

jan said...

Sounds like fun. Can't wait to see the pictures. I bet it smells good. I think that you can say this is evvironmentally acceptable because you did plant a tree and it is made of all organic material.:)

Amy D said...

I'm so jealous you got to cut your own tree down. I've always wanted to do that! And yes, I'm very behind on the Christmas cards, but do not despair. It will be there by Christmas! :)

Angie said...

it always comes up with HTML gibberish, but when you hit post the pictures are there. No worries. I'm way jealous that you have a beautiful live tree. Ours is so sad. I posted pics of it last Christmas. Oh well, in family housing you have to make due right? Maybe next year we will try the live thing.

Ronna said...

Hey Amy, I just ordered my Christmas cards from Costco tonight and I usually have them ordered before Thanksgiving so I too am behind. But, I do need your current address so that I can send you one. I haven't gotten any either, except for boring ones from JR's work with no picture. Dull!!
Anyway, it looks like you are making good memories in your new home. Here is my email address:
ronnaedwards@gmail.com. Send me your home address and I will reply with mine. You'll also get Caitlynn's birth announcement as a bonus!
Ronna

mama bear said...

Uh, Christmas cards? I think our will be more like New Years cards - I've put Brett in charge this year!