Friday, August 8, 2008
In case you're missing me . . .
I've been enjoying the wilds of Montana. We've been hiking to a waterfall, camping by a lake, tubing and wakeboarding behind the boat, and tonight we captured some elusive mountain blueberries, known in the West as huckleberries. Mmmmm. We have enough to enjoy in a warm compote on vanilla ice cream tonight, in pancakes tomorrow, and some to take back home to make into jam or sauce to savor throughout the year. I have great memories of picking and enjoying huckleberries with my family growing up, so I was thrilled to get some again. You have to get to a high enough elevation to find them, and they grow wild, so they are a little bit harder to pick than berries at a farm. But SOOOO worth it. The taste is hard to describe. Blueberry-like, but wilder. The week has flown by and has been so much fun. A dream come true for me, since I've seen my family rarely in the last 7 years. Pictures to come when I get home! Hope your week has been good too. I'll be back to commenting next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
mmm, huckleberries! What part of Montana? I have fond memories of spending summers on my grandparents' ranch in the Bitterroot valley and would love to return someday.
Yep, Bitterroot Valley is just where we are! It is very beautiful and rugged. My sister's new house is gorgeous, and the cousins love each other. Perfect.
I have been missing you and the rest of our friends! Sound like you had a great trip, too bad I can't come over and steal some huckleberry jam. We need to catch up, I'll call you soon.
Anna
I do miss you! Huckleberries sound delish! Have a great rest of your trip, and I'll be looking forward to pictures and posts when you get back.
Some days I really miss those cool crisp Montana evenings. I think tonight would qualify as one of those days.
Post a Comment