Monday, August 25, 2008

Meatless Me

So since I still have no friends (Shauna not included) and it's making me depressed, I've decided to do what I usually do, something weird involving a diet. This time it's going vegetarian, but not vegan. I haven't had meat in two weeks, although I did have some salmon once. I don't think I'd give up fish. It's pretty healthy and I like the way it tastes. Lately I haven't been liking the way meat tastes, and I'd like to cook without it most of the time anyway, so I'm giving it a try. My Dad went vegetarian a couple of years ago. He is in really good shape and says he feels better than ever. I think he looks incredibly young for being 56. I don't feel really good yet, but I think that has to do with the bad sleeping schedule I've been on. The really weird thing is cooking meat for other people, and then not eating it myself. I was salivating over a dino nugget the other day, but I'm going to give it another week or two and see how I feel and if I crave meat at all. The tofu dish I had at the Thai restaurant was okay, not stellar. I don't care much for tofu. I did cook bacon and not eat it, which was slightly difficult. But giving up meat is nothing like giving up sugar, which I wasn't too successful at. Silly me!

Amy

9 comments:

jan said...

I was thinking of doing the same things. Maybe you could start posting your great meatless recipes.

jan said...

crazy it isn't even 7:45 where you live or where I live yet and yet you have already posted. Amy from the future.

Michael Family said...

I don't do meat that much either. I like it occasionally, and don't feel the need to be vegetarian, but I don't use it all the time. I think it's better that way. But there is something to be said for a really good steak, pork tenderloin, or burger every once in a while.

Mandy said...

Okay, here is my favorite lunch recipe: I microwave a garden burger and cut it into strips. Then I put it on a whole wheat tortilla with some spinach leaves, salsa, cheese and black beans.
I can only pull off being vegetarian when Michael isn't home though. If I'm cooking it for him, I usually can't resist a taste.
You have much more will power than I do! (Which you already proved by running a marathon.)

Steph said...

You're always inspiring, though I rarely follow your lead. I'm not wild about meat all the time, but I do eat quite a bit of chicken. Also, a good tri-tip on the barbecue would knock me right off the vegetarian horse.

The friend thing will come. Who wouldn't want to be your friend?

caligirl said...

Too bad we don't live closer then you wouldn't have to worry about giving up any meat!!! Let me know how the vegan experiment goes.

Swoopref said...

Meat is murder... delicious, tasty, murder.

Hello Amy from Brian S. in the Ol` Arlington Ward... tell your husband his football league is looking for him.

Angie said...

YOu are so funny, but I have to say that I have thought the same thing. Meat gets old. I just don't think that I could give it up. Are you finding some good recipes without meat in them? If so, send them my way!

Dan and Bec said...

Amy...how in the heck are you. It's Dan Barnhurst. Remember me? I found your blog through Charla's. Glad things are going well for you. You've got a good looking family. Becky (my wife) and I also have a blog. It's danandbeckybarnhurst.blogspot.com.

See you