Monday, February 4, 2008

Love Notes


This little mailbox brought me birthday greetings last year. (Thanks to Em and 30 friends!!) Now it's being repurposed to bring love notes to our family. Everyone except Kyle is getting into the spirit. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting sweet notes from Jillian. Hayden's trying his hand at writing too, with much success. Lovin' the time of year for lovin'!

In other news:

Kara sat up by herself today for up to 10 seconds. She doesn't roll yet, because she hates being on her tummy and hasn't done it accidentally, but I'm glad she sits up. Maybe now her head has a chance of appearing normal. (see photo and poll to the side)

Kyle and I went to a modern dance performance on Saturday with some friends. Our neighbor is getting his master's degree in modern dance and was in two of the pieces. Kyle started out happy enough, but his happiness soon turned to confusion, revulsion, and perhaps even fear. The last piece was reputed to be hip hop, but it was more of a hip hop/modern fusion. In it, our neighbor is seduced/entranced by a woman in black and a woman in white. There was some music, but a lot of the piece is performed to Japanese?? words being spoken over scratchy sounds. Several of the dancers spent a lot of time either crying loudly or laughing loudly, and I think there was some barking too. At the end of the piece, our neighbor is sacrificed on an altar of dancers by the woman in white, after which she laughs out loud like a maniac for quite some time. As Kyle put it: "This is totally mental." Just as memorable was the piece which chronicled 5 great events in history, including Swimming across the English channel and the invention of the portable vacuum cleaner, which represented a phallus at one point. Hmm. I am certainly culturally enlightened. There was some great dancing, don't get me wrong, but I think I prefer Hayden's hip hop. I'm certain Kyle does.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Go Kara!
I don't even know what to say about the modern dance thing. Weird.

Amy D said...

I can totally picture Kyle squirming and going crazy in his seat because I know that's exactly what Clint would do too. Except Clint probably wouldn't have kept his feelings to himself. Cute lovin' mailbox! What a great idea.

Mandie said...

That is funny about the dance thing. I will have to tell John that. That was good of Kyle to go with you. John learned long ago that he does not like modern and her will probably not go to another one. But we haven't seen anything quite that strange.

Polliwog said...

Kyle, Come on, have you lost that lovin' feelin'? Put something in the dang post box!!

As for the modern dance story, I was laughing so hard. Though I consider myself cultured, that doesn't sound like something I would enjoy either. "Modern" dance/art/etc. is a little out there for my tastes.

Liz said...

Welcome to my world! It was bad enough growing up in theatre and the interesting plays and such I was in, but now I get it again in the art world with the "artz" people Chris works with. I'm proud of Kyle for even going though! I took Chris to a dance concert at BYU once and he vowed he would never go again.

Michael Family said...

Modern=weird. Enough said.